Shore diving St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

choiahoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know of any good shore dives on the island aside from the usual suspects (the Pier, Cane and Davis Bay)? Particularly on the west side?

Shorediving.com lists a site called "Dave's Pool" near Scuba Shack and the Changes in Latitude restaurant, but the information must be old as I can't locate either...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Changes in Latitude Restaurant was in Fredericksted - near the Pier, as was the Scuba Shack.

When I am back on island I will ask the locals about "Dave's Pool". I suspect it is somewhere near the Pier.

When I am back on island I will ask the locals about "Dave's Pool". I suspect it is somewhere near the Pier.

Thanks! I see you're a local yourself. Have you done any shore diving on the island outside of the Big Three sites? I read that the Butler wrecks are possible, but a very long swim.

We're certainly planning on diving the pier many times, but I was just curious if there were any good under the radar options...

My favorite shore dive is actually Carambola- it is a shorter swim out and offers both spur and groove reefs, as well as the wall. Normally a few smaller sharks patrolling the edge of the wall.

My favorite dive at the Pier is to take a boat out toward the end of the Pier and spend an hour+ with the Seahorses that are found about 50 ft off the Pier and then working the deeper water looking for Batfish and all the growth in the columns. You can walk down the Pier and jump in there (long drop) but it is a long swim back and I would not want to chance damage to my camera from the drop.

You can do a shore dive at the Pier but the footing getting out is tricky and something my wife hates struggling with - but there is lots to see. Actually takes at least 3 dives to see it and by time you are finished, things have changed.

I will be back on island in a week and hopefully the winds will be down (Jan & Feb winds were too high to make diving the North Shore fun and there was a FEMA ship at the Pier, so no diving there).

OK - what was Dave’s Pond is now called “The swirling reef of death”. It is just south of the Pier - supposedly not a far swim out. Another dive site you can reach from shore, north of the Pier is. (Spanish Anchor) - a little longer swim out but doable. The folks at N2theBlue can get you there with great directions.

We dove the Pier from shore today - one tank- it has changed but still lots to of life and spectacular colors. One turtle, two lobsters(1 over 5#), three octopuses (one out in the open, changing colors as it moved across the rocks), only one sea horse and a pair of mating cow fish - plus all the usual cast of characters. I cannot think of a better way to spend over an hour.

Thanks for the info. TN Traveler, would love to hear more details of your trip, shore diving or otherwise.

Happy diving.

We actually own a place on St Croix that we bought 2 years ago. We are here about every other month for 3 weeks. We traveled all over the Caribbean for 15 years and decided that St Croix was the best combination we could find for overall lifestyle.

The island is the largest landmass in the Lesser Antilles but only has a population of 50K, so people are not piled on top of each other. Normally they get 1-2 cruise ships per week, so you don’t have the pod people crush. There are only 2 significant resorts on the island, neither a major chain.

The island is loaded with outstanding restaurants, along with a couple of large supermarkets, so food is easily accessible (but not cheap). Not to mention that Capt Morgan and Cruzan have rum factories here.

There are islands with better diving but there is enough diversity here to always keep it interesting. You can dive a wall/canyon at salt river where you can find large peligics (including hammerheads yesterday and whales in Feb/Mar) or find your fill of macro life at the Pier. Shore diving or boat diving, your choice.

That is why we now spend our time here.

Actually, forget I wrote this post, don’t need a huge influx of tourists

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom