Shore diving St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you are enjoying the island.

No more cruise ships until either late December or January.

If you get a chance - take a boat dive out to the near the end of the Pier for at least 1 dive.
I know the Batfish have started returning and hopefully the Seahorses have come back.
You will find both in the area to the North of the Pier (not underneath it).

But it is not just all about the diving.
Just in case you are not aware - St Croix is a "foody" island. Try 40 Strand, Savant, Galangal, Zion Modern Kitchen, Un Amore and even Angry Nates. If you like Sushi - Dashi; for "island food" - La Reine Chicken Shack. And the list is actually much, much longer - but those are some highlights - but they are not inexpensive.

Tomorrow is boat dive to wrecks.

I think you’re diving with Jeff the Diver! He rocks—we dove with him today at Cane Bay, and he mentioned the wreck dives tomorrow. Enjoy!

We’re hitting the pier for the first time tomorrow.

Last edited:
We did meet Jeff, though we dove pier with Daniel. Super personable guy. I plan to leave some glowing TripAdvisor reports for them too!

In fact, TripAdvisor, St. Croix Activities gave us a great list of things to try and reviews that were pretty awesome.
Tomorrow is just shopping with kids, i am worn out from the action!

I'm looking forward to both you guys' trip reports here on Scuba Board; St. Croix is one of those destinations that's good, but doesn't seem to get a lot of trip reports. I think it warrants being 'on the radar' of more divers.

Richard.

OK - what was Dave’s Pond is now called “The swirling reef of death”. It is just south of the Pier - supposedly not a far swim out.

Shorediving.com lists a site called "Dave's Pool" near Scuba Shack and the Changes in Latitude restaurant, but the information must be old as I can't locate either...

First time I dove The Swirling Reef of Death was with Scuba Shack (think Dave was the owner) in 2005 and the last time with N2theBlue (who bought Scuba Shack in 2007 as I recall) in 2012. I also had heard of Dave's Pool at some point and came across the source you found which indicates Dave's Pool is on the north side of the pier (where Scuba Shack was), so it couldn't have become The Swirling Reef of Death. One of my favorite sites to dive in St. Croix along with the pier.

First time I dove The Swirling Reef of Death was with Scuba Shack (think Dave was the owner) in 2005 and the last time with N2theBlue (who bought Scuba Shack in 2007 as I recall) in 2012. I also had heard of Dave's Pool at some point and came across the source you found which indicates Dave's Pool is on the north side of the pier (where Scuba Shack was), so it couldn't have become The Swirling Reef of Death. One of my favorite sites to dive in St. Croix along with the pier.

Since I have only been on island since 2015 - you have greater historical knowledge than I do about The Swirling Reef of Death (and it not being Dave's Pond). I have talked with the folks at N2theBlue and they do not know of any site North of the Pier that is worth shore diving. I guess the location of Dave's Pond will remain a mystery.

Although St. Croix is a place I would go to again and again, I no longer have a free place to stay so am not sure when I'll get back (my aunt-in-law sold her damaged condo after the hurricane and moved back to the mainland.)

Not only did I enjoy the diving, but snorkeling was great. We snorkeled where she lived, just a little north of the pier (the pink condos.) I'm attaching some of the first pictures I took with an underwater camera, all snorkeling just off shore from where she lived, in 2007 and 2008. Also saw eagle rays, barracuda, sea worms, sand dollars, reef fish, etc....

sting ray.jpg eel snorkeling.jpg starfish and conch.jpg puffer snorkeling 3.jpg lobster snorkeling 2.jpg octopus2.jpg hawkbill snorkeling.jpg flounder.jpg eel.jpg french angelfish.jpg

I have talked with the folks at N2theBlue and they do not know of any site North of the Pier that is worth shore diving. I guess the location of Dave's Pond will remain a mystery.
Folks at N2theBlue and Cane Bay have confirmed that Daves Pool is the site north of the pier near the old scuba shack building. They’ve both also confirmed that it’s not really worth shore diving.

But if the winds die down a bit tomorrow, we’ll be hitting some unnamed shore diving sites in the north (east of cane bay) with a local DM buddy that are supposed to be good. I’ll keep you posted!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom