Shore diving St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no doubt there are lots of shore diving sights on the North Shore, both east and west of Cane Bay - they are just a long swim out and not a lot of fun if the wind is up since it makes it rough wading out at the end. Wife will not do that anymore after getting knocked over several times and struggling to get up. It is even tough on me, especially if I take the DSLR with me. The swim out at Carambola is shorter and there is a nice spur and groove reef short of the wall.

Please tell me why it is called swirling reef of death?

More homework for @choiahoy and @TN Traveler. The first time I dove it they told us the name but didn't say anything else about the site as we were on our way out to it. I think it was to scare us a little bit.

Spoiler Alert! It's really, to me anyway, a site that is like others someone has named Aquarium because of coral and the diversity of life that can be seen. Depth anywhere from 45-60 feet with dive times over an hour. A nice dive!

Just to add to the confusion - from "The Perfect Dive" site:

"The Swirling Reef of Death got it's name after a dull history of just being named after a person. Teenagers were tasked with making up a new name for the reef so it would have a great name, therefore, the Swirling Reef of Death was born. "

So was this originally "Dave's Pond"?

I think unless someone with direct knowledge can be found - there is unlikely to be a definitive answer. o_O

"The Swirling Reef of Death got it's name after a dull history of just being named after a person. Teenagers were tasked with making up a new name for the reef so it would have a great name, therefore, the Swirling Reef of Death was born. "
So was this originally "Dave's Pond"?
I think unless someone with direct knowledge can be found - there is unlikely to be a definitive answer.

In regards to the name Swirling Reef of Death, I came across this quote from Dave who was the owner of Scuba Shack:

“It’s a local joke,” Dave explained in his laconic way, his face deeply tanned from decades of ocean work. “The reef has had two or three different names. Not long ago we had a couple of thirteen year old boys on board and they came up with the new one and so far, it seems to be sticking.” (somewhat goes along with "The Perfect Dive" site quote)

Think if Dave's name had been attached to the name of the site before, he may have indicated so.
Link to the page with the quote: A Misty Christmas

Changes in Latitude beach bar was a very short walk from the old Scuba Shack which was also used as a marker for Dave's Pool. It became Coconuts beach bar, which was our favorite, but it was recently closed or sold and most likely has a new name (if sold.)

The picture from the website Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Dave's Pool of USVI, St. Croix, Caribbean that the OP came across shows the site, Dave's Pool, and which has the old pier in the background, far left. That would definitely put the site just north of the pier.

C011600.JPG

As memories are coming back to me, it was never mentioned to us that we could shore dive from this location when it was Scuba Shack nor when it became N2theBlue. We just hopped into a vehicle and they took us to the pier to get on the boat.

In no way do I want anyone to think I am being argumentative about this - I just want to try and figure it out and sometimes it involves asking some pointed questions.

I thought the old pier was actually slightly south of the new pier - weren't the "dolphins" (wooden poles coming out of the water) part of the old pier and they are south of the new pier. Secondly, we seem to now be talking about Dave's Pool vs Dave's Pond (which was the original question - where is/was it located). Was there both a Dave's Pool and a Dave's Pond (now "Swirling Reef of Death")? Maybe this is where the confusion is coming from.

Based on the photo you show and the other pictures from Shore Diving.com - I would agree that Dave's Pool is north of the pier.

I will dig into this more when I am back on island in July - with some of the long time locals I know. I love a good mystery! :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom