Shore entry without fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My local dive site has a pretty mellow surf zone that I see a lot of people walk through, then don their fins in the water. I asked my instructor about it and he said that it's often easier as long as you have some way of clipping your fins to you so that you don't lose them if something does happen. However, I notice he uses suicide clips when he clips his fins to his harness, which the internet is convincing me will lead to a very short SCUBA career. What's the preferred method?

I have spring backs! and they are the easiest things to put on! They where a great investment for my fins!

I hold mine in my hands and am very careful about it.

I haven't seen any of my dive buddies or instructors use a clip for fins, though I've heard of some divers use them when they use scooters.

I never put fins on then walk in on a shore dive. I don't clip them either but run my left hand through both spring straps. The surf has knocked me down a few times but my left hand goes to my mask to hold it on (trapping my fins) and my right hand goes to my reg to hold it in my mouth. That's the more important thing to worry about, making sure if there is surf that you have your reg in your mouth. About waist deep is when I want to don my fins. If you're not past the surf zone the key is to be patient and wait for a long swell.

I hold my fins by the straps and only put them on once I'm chest high in the water (bc slightly inflated). I also keep my mask around my neck until I'm about to dive down so I don't need a hand to keep it secured to my face while in the surf zone.

It is standard practice in our local waters to don fins in the water past the surf zone when the water level is about chest deep. The majority of divers don't usually carry special attachment gear for their fins.

Some respondents are saying that they don't need a way to securely attach their fins to their rig. This is fine as long as one is careful. Sometimes a diver will have to use both hands to do something else other than carry his fins, such as scrambling over rocks at the dive site, schlepping a scooter, carrying a large UW camera rig, or helping out a buddy/student.

DMs and instructors really should have a way to attach their fins to their rig. Invariably OW students will have issues in the surf zone and will need help. It's important for the DM/instructor to secure his own gear (fins) first and then help out with the student (provided that the student isn't in any danger). I've seen and heard of many dive pros losing their fins/mask because they were focusing on helping a student.

Suicide clips would not be my first choice for an attachment solution for fins -- not that I think that they are particularly dangerous for the kind of recreational diving that I do. It would probably be easiest to rig up something on your own with some caveline and a couple of bolt snaps or a double-ender.

Hope this helps...

We have fin keepers attached to our BC's and spring straps so we are able to enter the water with our hands free and gear secure. I have integrated them into the spring straps so the form the pull tab. On the BC end I replace the plastic clip supplied with the keeper with a 1-1/2 inch SS split ring. My wife and I have been using this set-up since we started. On some of our rocky entries it's nice to have free hands to help brace each other or otherwise lend a hand. Sometime when I get around to it this set-up and a few other gear details will become a SCUBA Knowtes feature.

With the fins attached and hanging to your side you do want to remember that they do provide a notable resistance to waves. If the surf is significant keep them swaying on the shore side so they just sweep up. If the are between you and the incoming waves there will be a force to resist.

On shore entries we have always been donning fins in the water. Inflate your BC at the shoreline and when mid chest deep (at this point it's impossible to fall) just don fins standing or in a figure 4. For the most part if the surf is too active to don in the water the visibility probably does not warrant diving. There can be exceptions to all of this.

BTW, the fin keepers are opposing pairs. This means that when not in use or going for a skin dive they can be clipped together to carry in your hands or over a shoulder. I think they are an undersold and under appreciated accessory.

Unless the conditions are exceptionally benign the mask goes on at the shoreline and stays on until I exit.

Pete

It is standard practice in our local waters to don fins in the water past the surf zone when the water level is about chest deep. The majority of divers don't usually carry special attachment gear for their fins.

Agreed!

This seems to be a regional issue from what I have observed (strap fins). I have made many shore entries with scooter and strobe camera or with scooters, camera without strobe and first time scooter divers, in significant surf (duck diving entries) and I just clamp my fins under the arm carrying the scooter(s). Often (last 18 months always) I am using full foot fins so clipping them off is not an option.

A few years ago I would "help" everyone I saw doing the "sea hunt" entry, by telling and demonstrating how much easier it is to don fins chest deep, but now I just enjoy the entertainment unless there is a flirt involved. :)

Also, in warm water with AL80's and 5 mm wet suits as the heaviest exposure protection, spring straps are non existent. I have no qualms with my Mares stock fin straps, but I want to be able to don fins in the blink of an eye in between impacts, because sometimes when we scooter dive the surf is breaking beyond chest high depth. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom