Should all students be trained on Nitrox?

Should all divers be trained using Nitrox?

• No. The risks of oxtox are far too high

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Yes. The earlier the better

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Perhaps. It depends on the quality of the student

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question was not, "should basic diver training qualify the student to use Nitrox?" although it could have been.

I was very precise in my choice of words but one or two of you have extrapolated my question to read like this, particularly the "nos".

That is not what I asked!

Phil & MikeF, Care for a recount?:upset:

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
My question was not, "should basic diver training qualify the student to use Nitrox?" although it could have been.

I was very precise in my choice of words but one or two of you have extrapolated my question to read like this, particularly the "nos".

That is not what I asked!

Phil & MikeF, Care for a recount?:upset:

Your leadin was "Should all students be trained on Nitrox?" My answer is still no. Does my "no" have much to do with oxtox? Not really, but it reflects my opinion. Sorry, I'm not into word games.

Phil

Yo Yo profiles??? Please explain as this is a term I've not heard before! :confused:

Most divers "graduate" to using Nitrox
I was just wanting to know where you got your information supporting this? For example, I live in a town with a population of 100,000 people, and we only have one dive shop, but there are others within a 75 mile radius, and only one of these shops sells nitrox, and the reason for this is there is almost no demand for it. The shop that sells nitrox has only certified six peope to use it, and only has about 15 people that come in and get nitrox fills from the entire area. So my question is, do most divers really "graduate" to using nitrox?

PS I am Nitrox certified, and I think OW divers should be introduced to it and it's benefits, but I do not think the Nitrox cert should be part of the class.

JT2: I know what you mean. I'm 200 miles from the coast, but I do all my ocean dives on nitrox. I don't think any of the LDSs here have Nitrox capability.

RooLuvsToDive once bubbled...
Yo Yo profiles??? Please explain as this is a term I've not heard before! :confused:

Take a look at the smiley face in your jar, he is diving a yo-yo profile.......(and not very DIR) :wink:

Dave

JT2 once bubbled...
I was just wanting to know where you got your information supporting this? . . . there is almost no demand for it. The shop that sells nitrox has only certified six peope to use it, and only has about 15 people that come in and get nitrox fills from the entire area. So my question is, do most divers really "graduate" to using nitrox? .
Hi JT2,

Wordgames? Perhaps I should have been more precise and stated the following.

"Most trainee divers learn to dive with that foul stuff we know as compressed air which contains copious amounts of that nasty substance, nitrogen. Because it is inert, even at shallow depths and limited exposures, it can cause DCI.

A cohort of divers use Enriched Air Nitrox to reduce the amount of nitrogen to which they are exposed but the vast majority of these are obliged to undertake additional, and quite expensive training before they graduate to using it, even under supervision. "

I think that got the point across pretty well, even though it was a bit of a mouthful! :)

Now back to my original question. Do you really need to be Nitrox certified in order to breathe/use it when being taught to dive under the supervision of a suitably qualified instructor?

The results so far suggest not.

The "Nos" have not yet provided me with a valid reason for their stance but must have one. Could we, perhaps, even get a heated debate going here? :eek:ut:

By the way Roo, a yo-yo is a weighted toy reel on a short string that goes up and down as it spins.:D

The problem is that there is some tech involved that makes Nitrox a bit too deep for newbies. Of course this couldbe a good thing and keep alot of those that would get a C-card from attaining one. On the other hand perhaps this board wouldnt be here because diving wouldnt be as popular as it is today. I think Nitrox is the next logical step if you are a continuing diver.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

...on Nitrox in BOW? This would lead to more certs for the certifying orgs and they'd love that.

Give them a "Here are the advantages to Nitrox...1,2,3 and here are the disadvantage...1,2,3. Now take a mini-test on Nitrox, throw in a question on the final exam and viola! you've got better trained students.

Not only informative and beneficial to a new generation of divers, especially ones that stick around for more training.
Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom