Should Cert Cards be for life? My cert cards seem to be worthless!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's please leave the political commentary in The Pub ... it doesn't belong in the Basic Scuba forum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've mentioned this before, but what would fix the entire problem is getting rid of supervised dives entirely. People who know "they're on their own" tend to dive very conservatively and safely.

With no DM in the water, I have a very strong suspicion that the most popular dive spots would be within easy swimming distance of the upline or shore and that divers would me much more aware of their remaining gas.

The industry has created it's own problem.

flots.

If you eliminate guided dives even in excellent conditions, you also eliminate a lot of the casual diver popular who will only dive on those terms. This cuts off a substantial revenue stream from dive op.s in the Caribbean. And will you be taking away the option to hire private guides when diving in new places? I don't see these things happening.

Richard.

Perhaps it's time for a new distinctive specialty; Adult Diver.
Naw, all we need is an Adult Internet Poster specialty, and filters on the forums so you only see those posts.

If you eliminate guided dives even in excellent conditions, you also eliminate a lot of the casual diver popular who will only dive on those terms.

And the problem is . . . ?

If someone doesn't feel capable of diving without a guide, that's fine. They can either take a refresher class or not dive. Either way, they're better off.

This cuts off a substantial revenue stream from dive op.s in the Caribbean.

I don't see how that's a problem. It would mean fewer dive ops, but that's not really a problem for the divers. There will always be enough dive ops to satisfy the market demand. If the demand shrinks, the supply will too.

And will you be taking away the option to hire private guides when diving in new places?

I have no problem with someone pointing out interesting stuff, as long as the title is "critter finder " or similar and they're not promoted as anything more than "some guy who knows where interesting stuff lives".

flots.

A number of people here have posted comments saying that recertification will result in more "government" regulation of the diving industry. Clearly, the diving industry has standards that it adheres to--but are these government regulations? I think I know the answer but I pose that question to you experts. Here are three examples; maybe you can answer them:

1. Is there an over-riding FEDERAL regulation or law that requires ANY type of certification for SPORT divers (OSHA regs for working divers don't count)?

2. Is there a FEDERAL regulation that requires visual inspection of ALL aluminum scuba tanks EVERY year? (Hint: Dept of Transportation is the regulating agency--what do they really require?)

3. Does the FEDERAL government require annual inspections of STEEL scuba tanks EVERY year? (What are the requirements for STEEL tanks other than pressure tests every 5 years?)

Last edited:
In another thread we talked about setting up different courses for people who wanted different things out of diving. A shorter "resort" or "vacation" cert (DM'd style dives) and a longer, more intensive "independent" type cert.

PADI already offers that. Entry level is the Scuba Diver Cert. Divers with this cert are only certified to dive with professionals, i.e. instructors and DMs. The independent certification is the Open Water Cert. Most diver's opt for the Open Water, but many of the vacation resorts do provide the basic cert training more frequently.

A number of people here have posted comments saying that recertification will result in more "government" regulation of the diving industry. Clearly, the diving industry has standards that it adheres to--but are these government regulations? I think I know the answer but I pose that question to you experts. Here are three examples; maybe you can answer them:

1. Is there an over-riding FEDERAL regulation or law that requires ANY type of certification for SPORT divers (OSHA regs for working divers don't count)?

2. Is there a FEDERAL regulation that requires visual inspection of ALL aluminum scuba tanks EVERY year? (Hint: Dept of Transportation is the regulating agency--what do they really require?)

3. Does the FEDERAL government require annual inspections of STEEL scuba tanks EVERY year? (What are the requirements for STEEL tanks other than pressure tests every 5 years?)
In order:
1. None that I'm aware of.

2. And 3. DOT (Feds) require a Visual inspection on a tank as part of its hydro test every five years. 10 years on star marked cylinders. The annual visual inspection was devised by the scuba industry after some navy tests showed that severe corrosion can occur in scuba tanks in a matter of months in extreme situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree with the premise of the article. You are complaining because you are getting treated poorly. I am a Pro with a lot of dives, I don't bring it up unless asked, and I play the dive operations games. I have never been treated that way, everyone has been respectful of me, my equipment and family.

You must consider a couple of things when trying to advocate for change as you are. #1 (the biggest) The behavior you have experienced from dive operations is most often driven by liability insurance. #2 It also might be how you are acting towards these staff members.

In regards to your 20 year old know it all's. Next time you are on a dive trip start a discussion with them about how often they have to swim 200+ yards to rescue a dumb ass diver. Further ask how many of them have advanced certs. After that conversation maybe you will have further respect for the job they do and the pennies they earn.

In the end you can have all the certs ever and still make a mistake, get caught in current, be sick etc. And you will need that strong 20yr old to swim and drag you butt back.

Good luck

I believe the government requirement includes a visual inspection every time a compressed gas cylinder is filled. I believe the intended inspection is external only but I suspect the fill op has discression on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom