Should Computers be more user personal ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok just a thought:confused: should you be able to program your own personal characteristics into your computer . :huh:

My thinking is this you have 2 divers diver 1 is 110lbs 5 ft 20 yo, Diver 2 is 280 lbs 6ft 5 50 yo . after the exact same dive they will have the same sat rates etc but there personal physiology is very much diffrent.

Am I making any sense here or do I just have too much time on my hands:mooner:

It's a great idea, but we don't really know enough about decompression theory to factor in specific variables. Some computers do allow one to choose a point on a scale between very liberal and very conservative.

Should Computers be more user personal ?

Solid question, There are computers that use gradient factors to allow the diver to plan and enter the set parameters that one would wish to follow for a there level of conservatism.
while I only assume the sac rate of said divers was a example.... Air integrated dive computers do calculate bottom time within the profile along with the tissue loading algorithm. What you see as a diver is that whatever the limiting factor, be it NDL or your air consumption the most imperative number is shown as dive time remaining.

This brings me to another point. when you purchase a computer hopefully from you LDS they should take the time to educate the user on the features and ensure that the user understands what they are looking at on the surface and underwater. Most modern computers have a demo mode that can be used to work the functions and become intimate with the bleeps and blobs and warnings and hopefully what to do about them. I sell only nitrox computers and I don't discount them in the store because I have a 2 hour class that goes with each unit before it dives with the new owner. I have been on too many trips with divers from another group that not only don't understand there computer but have missed something altogether in a OW class. Nothing is more disturbing then a entering the boat after a night dive with someone across from you shinning there light on a screaming deco warning and asking you what it is:shakehead
Hmmm I have another post for later.

To add to what Walter said: Given that statistically you are chosing a point in a standard distribution when you don't know what the curve actually looks like, chances of tweaking it for each individual and getting it 'right' in some way is pretty slim.

Especially that risk of DCS can vary across the same individual day to day based on sleep, stress, familiarity of environment & breathing / working rate, hydration, etc.

:)

Some decompression software does let you select your level of conservatism.

Aeris computers have a bar graph that indicates nitrogen loading. It is simple thing to set your own conservatism level with this.If you are a 20 year old Navy Seal you might choose to surface even though it is pushing up against the red.If you are 80 years old,overweight with a history of DCS then you might choose to only surface when it is 3 "blobs" into the green.

Of course,doing it this way implies some understanding and taking personal responsibility. I really dont trust a computer manufacturer to program in a conservatism level that is appropriate for ME,TODAY and on THIS DIVE.

Some computers have a personal adjustment factor that you can set to make them more conservative. But it's still subjective as to what each person should use....

I have to agree that computers should be more personal. I wish mine would say "you are getting really really deep and I am scared silly" :D

As said, deco is a theory and everybody is different. One model will bend someone while another will not and visa-versa. Most do allow some minimal amount of personalization via the preferences.

NorthernShrinkage:
Ok just a thought:confused: should you be able to program your own personal characteristics into your computer . :huh:

My thinking is this you have 2 divers diver 1 is 110lbs 5 ft 20 yo, Diver 2 is 280 lbs 6ft 5 50 yo . after the exact same dive they will have the same sat rates etc but there personal physiology is very much diffrent.

Am I making any sense here or do I just have too much time on my hands:mooner:

My ideal computer would plug directly into my system and detect and indicate the levels of inert gases, bubbles and what not in there. I could then try different algorithms on it and see what clears me best. I would also like it to be a low profile, small wrist unit (sensors elsewhere) with backlight, dive recording, user replaceable battery and the usual goodies. Maybe in another 50 years...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom