Should I even visit cozumel - beginner diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your already nervous about it maybe you shouldn't do it. but if you plan on doing it one day when ever you go will be your first time so why not now. Here's a dive shop look at the sites and possibly try and find a shop that will give you what you want. Also as a beginning diver I never had a problem being ready to get in the water with everyone else, I did my OW, and AOW with a broke ankle of a boat and off some steps with 4' to 5' swells, was geared up when it was time to get off the boat. If it's possible, get in as much practice as you can between now an your trip even if it's in a pool so you'll be you used to gearing up for the dive. And also as a beginner following a dive guide isn't that bad, you'll have enough to worry about on your first few dives. If you dive long enough you'll learn to plan dives in due time.

Cozumel Scuba Diving with Aqua Safari

My husband and I did our first OW dives in Cozumel and had no problems (other than me having an equalizing problem the first dive). Our DM knew we were brand new divers and did an excellent job looking out for us (as did other people on the boat). We found drift diving to be quite fun. If there is something you aren't comfortable with, let your DM know. You should never feel pressured to do something you aren't ready for. One thing I do strongly suggest is to look for a dive op with small boats (less than 8 people).

I just finished my twenty-first trip to Cozumel, and had the pleasure of diving with someone making their first saltwater dive. They
had a blast. I agree with missyjane, and would avoid the cattleboats, I would also strongly suggest having a private DM. One of the
best Op's IMHO would be BlueXTsea, and ask for Pedro. Scuba-Du would also be a good choice, ask for Hector, Martin, or Giovanni.
There are many other reputable Op's, everyone has their favorite. Bottom line, GO, if not this trip, the next. Cozumel is awesome.
You won't regret it.:wink:

You can always join our Coz invasion and dive with a TON of ScubaBoardians. It's happening the last day of June and into the first week of July. Click on the ad in my sig line to find out more!

I am one of the people that did not enjoy my first few dives in Cozumel. This was because of the unusally currents for Coz and diving beyond my experience level. At that point in my diving career I had never had more than two divers with a DM and never been in current and never been below 100 feet. I did a check out shore dive at Hotel Barracuda with no current and a depth of 25 feet. The next morning I did my first boat dive. It was a wall dive and supposed to be no deeper than 80 feet. The DM had probably 10 people with him. After going under, the current took me along the top of the wall. This was no gentle current. The next thing I knew I was going over the side of the wall and was down to 120 ft with extreme pain in my ears. I don't remember seeing my buddy. I was out of control. Then a female diver was with me and she pulled me up from the depth and back to the top of the wall. We then slowly ascended to the surface. The DM had other new divers that he was dealing with. The female diver and her husband became my buddy's and my guardian angels for the next dive and showed us how to deal with the current by using the topography to slow down and to get our bouyancy under control. I'm not sure I would have gone back in if it has not been for them. Moral of the story, if you are uncomfortable, hire a personal DM for the first couple of dives until to can see what it is like.

We just got back from a week in Coz - our second. My gf/buddy OWed there last year. Sign up with a great dive op (cough Aldora cough), be clear with them about your experience level and you should have a blast.

That said - Mikes point about travel time is spot on. Pick a great dive area and then dive the living heck out of it. Go home, do your day job thing for awhile, then go back or go somewhere else.

Time spent travelling is time not diving.

Liveaboards notwithstanding of course.

I'm down here right now. I'm diving with BlueXTsea again, because she runs the best OP I've experienced down here. Cozumel can have strong currents from time to time, but it's nothing most new divers couldn't handle. Cozumel has awesome diving and it's relatively cheap compared to the rest of the Caribbean. Now, if you were telling me Galapagos was going to be your first ocean dive then I would say that might be too much, but Cozumel, not so much. Just use common sense and the skills you learned and you will be fine.

Here is different perspective. I don't think the currents are an issue and you will need to learn the basics somewhere anyway (buoyancy and mastery of the equipment).

I think the issue might be the pace on the boat. I often feel the race to get geared up and in the water is too fast. It is easy to succumb to pressure and overlook safety checks. Some destinations are more comfortable.

FWIW I have never, even as a very new diver, felt rushed to get in the water in Cozumel. I was once fully geared up, removed my mask to rub my eye, and knocked one of my contacts out. Fixing the problem required getting out of my gear, getting a spare contact out of my bag (disposables), having someone stand in front of me to block the wind, and trying several times before successfully getting the contact in. The entire time I was assured that there was no rush and to just take my time, it was no big deal. Perhaps it's a function of choosing a smaller dive op in general, or a function of the particular op I choose, but rushing anything (dives, safety stops, SI's, entries, exits) has never been a part of my diving in Coz.

Back
Top Bottom