Should I Issue the Card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimAZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This should probably be in another forum, but I am a new instructor and not yet int he instructors forum. Besides, I like to get a good range of opinions. Regardless, last year an instructor no longer affiliated with my LDS taught an open water class for a particular customer. She just contacted us wanting to pick up her C-Card. The reason it has been so long is that she had a brain hemmorhage a week or two after the class and has been recovering. All the paperwork is in order and completed, so I feel like I am obligated to issue a card. On the other hand, without medical authorization, I wouldn't even let her start training now.

Fortunately, she was nice enough to agree, for my peace of mind if nothing else, to obtain authorization from her neurologist before picking up her card. Since it has been so long since her class, I in turn am letting her audit one of my open water classes.

The question is - If she demanded the card, would I be obligated to issue one because she successfully completed the course, or be obligated not to - being aware of her medical condition?:huh:

Well since the course was paid for and completed. I would think you would have to issue the card. Of course you did have the right to request that her medical file be updated with a DR.'s consent form.

Glad it worked out for everybody.

Yea definently apply to get into the Instructor to Instructor forum for this sort of thing, as that is probably where this thread will be moved anyway.

My understanding is that if she passed the class then you would need to issue the card. For moral reasons I would remind her of the dangers of the medical problems mixing with diving. My question is why two weeks after the class finished had you not sent for her c-card.

My understanding is that if she passed the class then you would need to issue the card. For moral reasons I would remind her of the dangers of the medical problems mixing with diving. My question is why two weeks after the class finished had you not sent for her c-card.

If the OP wasn't the person conducting this person's training, why would he be obligated to issue the card? Certifications are not signed of by LDSs, they're signed off by us, the instructors, and if you didn't conduct the training, why would you even want your name on that cert?

What am I missing?
kari

TimAZ:
This should probably be in another forum, but I am a new instructor and not yet int he instructors forum. Besides, I like to get a good range of opinions. Regardless, last year an instructor no longer affiliated with my LDS taught an open water class for a particular customer. She just contacted us wanting to pick up her C-Card. The reason it has been so long is that she had a brain hemmorhage a week or two after the class and has been recovering. All the paperwork is in order and completed, so I feel like I am obligated to issue a card. On the other hand, without medical authorization, I wouldn't even let her start training now.

Fortunately, she was nice enough to agree, for my peace of mind if nothing else, to obtain authorization from her neurologist before picking up her card. Since it has been so long since her class, I in turn am letting her audit one of my open water classes.

The question is - If she demanded the card, would I be obligated to issue one because she successfully completed the course, or be obligated not to - being aware of her medical condition?:huh:
Without knowing the mandates of your certifying agency, I wouldn't be able to answer the question. I can tell you what I'd do ... as a NAUI instructor. I would request that she retake the class. It's been a long time since she took the class, and I assume she hasn't done any diving (given the medical circumstances).

If you issue the card, your name will be on it. How do you feel about putting your name on it without any personal verification that she is competent to dive ... whether or not her doctor says it's OK?

I know that if it were me, I'd want to have some in-water time with her before putting my name on her C-card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob: Would you request her to re-take the entire class, or one of those 'refreshers' in which the basic skills are run through to ensure that the diver in question (she did pass after all, so I'm calling her a diver :) ) can evaluate if the skills are present of absent?
:)

Just curious.

Bjorn

NWGratefulDiver:
Without knowing the mandates of your certifying agency, I wouldn't be able to answer the question. I can tell you what I'd do ... as a NAUI instructor. I would request that she retake the class. It's been a long time since she took the class, and I assume she hasn't done any diving (given the medical circumstances).

If you issue the card, your name will be on it. How do you feel about putting your name on it without any personal verification that she is competent to dive ... whether or not her doctor says it's OK?

I know that if it were me, I'd want to have some in-water time with her before putting my name on her C-card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If she already completed the class you can't really require her to retake it again to get the card that should have been issued the first time. Thats like asking someone who lost their card and comes back to their Instructor to get the card reissued, being told by the instructor that they wont send in the form to reissue the card to an already certified diver because the diver hadn't dove in a while. Even though common sense may say that they need a refresher.

For instance if I certified someone a year ago and they lost their card and came to me. I charge them the PIC card fee after confirming their identity and send in the application for a replacement card. I can't say I won't replace their card because they might not have dove in a while. Once you decide to pass them for the class, you've passed them.

Cheekymonkey:
My question is why two weeks after the class finished had you not sent for her c-card.

Her instructor had not gotten a photo for the card from her. Personally, I take the photos myself to be more efficient, unless they have one of their own they really want to use.

Karibelle:
If the OP wasn't the person conducting this person's training, why would he be obligated to issue the card? Certifications are not signed of by LDSs, they're signed off by us, the instructors, and if you didn't conduct the training, why would you even want your name on that cert?

What am I missing?
kari

With SSI all training is done through an SSI dealer/shop. I kept his name on the card, but had to order it through the "dealer only" portion of the website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom