should I remove batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All,

This may be a stupid question, but...........

Should I remove the batteries and open my lights after I clean them with fresh water? I have never done this on my day time light, but I just purchased a primary and recently had a maglite where the batteries corroded and had to replace the tube and switch. So should I?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

I do for my HID light, but don't bother for my backups. If your batteries are corroding and you have to replace a switch, then you might want to check your O-rings.

I do it after every dive, since I have to recharge the batteries anyway. It also saves the O-Ring I guess.

I always remove the batteries, as they can leak - leading to corrosion. Aslo less likely to cause damage in airline luggage. :526:

Normally I store my dive lights that use primary cells, without batteries, and I leave the o-rings without pressure - they last longer like this.
When diving, say a weekend or on a trip I avoid opening them as far as possible.
My big rechargeable light has a couple of ventilation screws which I remove to avoid Hydrogen build-up. Since I don't dive regularly with this light, I have other primaries, after a few months it would become a bomb if it wasn't ventilated.

Now the question is, do alcaline batteries off-gas or not?
A couple of years back I had a Princeton Tec light which exploded during final deco stop after a dive to 43m and Princeton alleged that it could only have been due to the fact that it had not been opened for some time and had accumulated gas. I did not accept this because fresh batteries were inserted just 3 days before.
My theory was that it leaked at depth and the resulting electrolysis had generated gas which stayed inside while the outside pressure was high. Once the ascent started then the housing did not resist the internal pressure.
In any case I can't complain because they swapped the remains for a new light under their warranty. It just irritated me that they insisted it was my fault.

Thanks for the replies. In this case, I will not likely use my primary often, so I would think that removing the batteries is the best option. Is there a good way to keep the oring from breaking down over time? Keep it lubed and in a ziplock or something?

Joe

:06:
JustJoe:
Hey All,

This may be a stupid question, but...........

Should I remove the batteries and open my lights after I clean them with fresh water? I have never done this on my day time light, but I just purchased a primary and recently had a maglite where the batteries corroded and had to replace the tube and switch. So should I?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
do you dive with a maglite? I thought of using one as a backup, but it's not a "divelight"

Maglite have an o-ring in both openings, but dont have a pressure rating, i would trust it if i dropped it in shallow water, but not at "depth" - same with my all conditions camera - survived shallow imersion in my kayak, but isnt in a housing. One of my maglites also corroded away with offgassing causing it inside the o-ring, that proved to me that the offgassing was a good enough reason to remove the batteries. I too remove my NiMH batteries from my HID and take the pressure off the o-ring by leaving the latches unlocked on the can, the back up lights i remove the bulb/lens head part but leave the batteries in the light body. Lubing the o-rings once in a while, if not every dive is a good idea too :wink:

chris hecker:
:06:
do you dive with a maglite? I thought of using one as a backup, but it's not a "divelight"

No. I use UK for both primary and backup. I was pointing out the maglite because of the corrosion and resultant replacement of parts. The maglite is a tough light but it does not seal real well.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom