Should I trust divers-supply.com?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fresh_fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found something I've been looking for on this site. Should I order from them? Are they a good place?

I'm getting a GEnesis Athena or Sirene, if anyone's wondering. I need a Small.

Hi Fresh Fish:

I have never done business with them, but I just want to know, do you have your heart set on a jacket style BCD? I assume you are a Woman, and the Women divers I know pretty much all had a somewhat difficult time sizing a proper fitting jacket BCD. Not to say that you will have a problem, but please just consider a backplate and wing (BP/W). Think of unrestricted movement, nothing on your front or under your arms, a great fit with a simple harness, and to me (and a bunch of other guys) and Women that have tried the BP/W- better trim capabilities. Trim is super important as you learned not just for movement's sake and efficiency, but also when there is a lot of aquatic wildlife that we try to preserve just by looking and never touching or falling all over because of buoyancy problems.

As far as internet shopping, I have not had a bad experience with anyone, but if you have your heart set on a jacket style BCD after looking at a BP/W, give Phillip Ellis a call at divesports.com. I swear, that guy is super helpful and he may price match your Genesis that you're eyeballing!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Shop wisely!

Kindest regards,
Thomas :)

I have never got anything from them online but have visited there store in Jacksonville FL, on several occasions and found a couple good deals there and No I don't work for them or anything like that.

A) Yes, from my experience Divers Supply is a good group of folks to deal with. In addition to the Internet site they have a number of stores also.

B) I agree with the advise that Thomas gave you - try a backplate/wing setup before making a final purchase. Try searching here for "DSS", "Deep Sea Supply", or "BP/W" for some examples of folks that have made the switch and given their thoughts.

(Note: Divers-Supply and Deep Sea Supply are not associated with one another, they just have a common word in their names)

Have a good night,

Brent

I've bought online from them once or twice. No problems.

I dive with someone that has a BP/W. She's about my size, and she said that she was impressed with how well this one fit me. She's been diving longer than me, and she said she only chose that style because she got it half price. She would have been happy with either.

I chose this one to try to purchase because I had perfect trim, and perfect buoyancy with it. If I had the money/time to spend getting a custom BP/W setup, I might.

Please do not turn this thread into a BP/W sales pitch. I've read far too many of those on here.

You certainly can rely on Divers Supply.
They're a stand up organization.
I've dealt with them for years and can say that they've always treated me more than fairly.

the K

fresh fish,
It never takes long for the BPW folks to pop up--rather like mushrooms. While, IMO, a BPW is a must for doubles. they are not the be all and end all for a single tank.

I have dealt with Divers Supply, and I believe they are a good outfit. I would, however, also check with Scubatoys, and/or Leisurepro, because they have a very liberal return policy.

It's been quite awhile since I used Divers Supply, but they were always fine.

fresh_fish, don't get confused and assume the number of people on this board suggesting BP/W is statistically representative of the rest of the world, because it's not. I'm sure it's a fine choice for some people and types of diving. I don't consider it a good choice for mine. If you've found something you like that fits, go for it. I used to have a jacket that fit fine, and I now have a back inflate that fits fine. As do many women.

I found something I've been looking for on this site. Should I order from them? Are they a good place?

I'm getting a GEnesis Athena or Sirene, if anyone's wondering. I need a Small.
I have ordered either 4 or 5 different items from them in the past & have had great experience with them all times......IMO, order what you want/need from them..

Back
Top Bottom