Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I dive there is usually a good current and I can't stand the feel of the snorkel pulling on my face / mask with the drag it causes in the current so do not bring one. Always down and up the anchor line so no surface swim 99% of the time.

Before the widespread adoption of the BCD, they were needed. Not so much now that you can easily float with your head above the water. I don't wear one anymore.

Yeah, it's usually us older guys who prefer snorkels and big knives. Maybe that should tell you something? LOL!

Older guys have smaller p*n*ses?

Before the widespread adoption of the BCD, they were needed. Not so much now that you can easily float with your head above the water. I don't wear one anymore.

I wonder if that is where the requirement to carry one came from and once modern BCD's came out instead if changing it the agencies just added a skill.

Thank you for the laugh, I love some good BS and fairy tales.
It doesn't matter to me in the slightest if you believe it or not but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was not a life altering or even particularly dangerous incident due to our training. I only recounted that experience to justify why I like and will always carry a snorkel. Whether you believe it or not will not affect the facts as I related them.

However, there is one thing that I am curious about. Why would you accuse me of BS? You weren't there, you know nothing about me, my girlfriend, our dive boat, our gear, our "dive club", our qualifications, etc. etc. etc. Furthermore, your obvious lack of knowledge of sea conditions or boat sizes in general leads me to question your qualifications to even make a comment about my incident, much less a blanket statement like "Fifteen foot swells would kill all humans and turn all boats into smashed submarines". Sheesh! You need to get out more! Like to the beach where you can watch the sea birds way out there riding up and down on the huge swells. How come they're not getting smashed? You do know the difference between swells, rollers and waves, right?

So why would you do that? What qualifies you to make that BS call? Or is it because you've led such a sheltered life and denial is so much safer, doncha know? Come on give! What qualifies you to make that call Mr. Expert Former Nuke?

I wonder if that is where the requirement to carry one came from and once modern BCD's came out instead if changing it the agencies just added a skill.
In the old old days, pre mid about 1070's, there was no such thing as BC's or BCD's. I think they started gaining popularity when people saw the ones that were stolen from the military and modified. In the early days, they were all Horse Collar Buoyancy Compensators. Most of them had a tendency to float a diver face up if you relaxed on the surface. That's why they were recognized as "Life Saving devices". We all had and used our snorkels for surface swims. Most of the new modern BCD's tend to float the diver face down if they relax on the surface. I would think snorkels would be even more needed but I don't use a modern BCD so i really don't know.

Once something is labeled as being all-important, it's quite hard to walk that back. Quite often the origins are forgotten. We had steel 72s, no spg, no depth gauge, no wetsuit, and no BC when I first learned. I was always a bit negative and the first sign you were low on gas was the butt pucker you got when you couldn't get air out of your reg. Oh yeah, no octos either. So you reached down and pulled the rod connected to your j-valve, so you could ascend. Every now and then, it was already in the open position, so you had to swim like hell to the surface. Yeah, our buddies were mostly SOBs (Same Ocean Buddies). You can't imagine how tiring it is to do an ascent like that, and once you get to the surface you have to keep swimming or you'll sink. Snorkels really helped. They're mostly in the way now.

A 3 ft breaking on the beach can easily knock a full grown man over.
One more piece of information on waves I found fascinating. There are generally two types of waves: wind-driven and tsunamis. As indicated by the description wind-driven waves build up by the wind. You can always dive under these waves to calmer water below although for very large waves you may have to go deep. Not so for Tsunami waves. Tsunami's are not caused by wind action but by earthquakes or by ocean floor displacements. As a result, the entire water column is moving and the sheer mass of that water contains far more energy than surface waves. This is why Tsunami's don't stop at the shore but sometimes are driven far inland, sometimes for miles depending on the flatness of the terrain. To escape a large wind-driven wave from breaking on top of you, you can dive into the wave to get underneath it. Not so with a Tsunami. Since it's a wall of water coming at you, there is no diving underneath it to escape its fury.

Honestly, fifteen foot swells are no big deal. It's just a thirty foot ride up and down like a roller coaster.
Where was this? 15 feet at a dive site? How can you even dive in these conditions. Usually people check the forecast and don't go out when a major storm is rolling in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom