Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is a few years old but…
Yes I use a snorkel when I shore dive in Northern California. Historically, a snorkel was always used by California divers to surface swim and navigate kelp. Swimming on your back only invites your tank valve to get completely wrapped up in giant kelp, bull kelp, and feather boa kelp. Plus you cant easily see where you’re going, you have to constantly crane your neck to try and navigate many times swimming right into another patch of kelp. Many divers have had to remove their BC’s on the surface to unwind all the kelp and free themselves.
By surface swimming on your belly you can choose your path through the kelp and push it aside if needed. Some of our surface swims are lengthy so using tank air doesn’t make a lot of sense when you have free air with a snorkel.
I use a straight J tube style freediving snorkel with no purge valves or big bulbous things on the end. You get used to them being there just like any gear, you learn to manage it. I also don’t use a wrap around long hose because we don’t need to go single file out of caves, so a 40” primary under the right arm with a 90 degree swivel on the second stage works fine.
My buddy and I did a shore dive once and he forgot his snorkel. You talk about a miserable time. I had to unwind him from kelp several times. Finally he just surface swam face down and held his breath, turning his head once in a while to breathe. He swore he’d never do that again!
You will hear a lot of negativity about snorkels here, but those people are probably tech divers or are too cool to be seen with one and think they aren’t useful for anything, stupid, or they are just general a-holes who like to argue and put people down to make themselves feel superior to those who use snorkels. Yeah, whatever.
I can tell you they are very useful for the right circumstances, very very useful!
Don’t ever let anyone shame you into not considering one!, especially if the diving conditions warrant it’s use.

Yes I use a snorkel when I shore dive in Northern California. Historically, a snorkel was always used by California divers to surface swim and navigate kelp. Swimming on your back only invites your tank valve to get completely wrapped up in giant kelp, bull kelp, and feather boa kelp. Plus you cant easily see where you’re going, you have to constantly crane your neck to try and navigate many times swimming right into another patch of kelp. Many divers have had to remove their BC’s on the surface to unwind all the kelp and free themselves.
By surface swimming on your belly you can choose your path through the kelp and push it aside if needed. Some of our surface swims are lengthy so using tank air doesn’t make a lot of sense when you have free air with a snorkel.
I use a straight J tube style freediving snorkel with no purge valves or big bulbous things on the end. You get used to them being there just like any gear, you learn to manage it. I also don’t use a wrap around long hose because we don’t need to go single file out of caves, so a 40” primary under the right arm with a 90 degree swivel on the second stage works fine.
My buddy and I did a shore dive once and he forgot his snorkel. You talk about a miserable time. I had to unwind him from kelp several times. Finally he just surface swam face down and held his breath, turning his head once in a while to breathe. He swore he’d never do that again!
You will hear a lot of negativity about snorkels here, but those people are probably tech divers or are too cool to be seen with one and think they aren’t useful for anything, stupid, or they are just general a-holes who like to argue and put people down to make themselves feel superior to those who use snorkels. Yeah, whatever.
I can tell you they are very useful for the right circumstances, very very useful!
Don’t ever let anyone shame you into not considering one!, especially if the diving conditions warrant it’s use.

Well said, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Yup. There’s a time and a place for a snorkel. It doesn’t take that many dives in different locations and different types of conditions to run into a scenario where it would have been nice to have one.

There’s a time and a place for a snorkel.
and attached to your mask when you are 100 feet under is not such place and time.

Attached to your mask for a long surface swim, of course. In a pocket while 100 feet under, that's what I do. I don't remember a time when it was needed without foreknowledge, but I don't remember such time for my knife either, and I do dive with a knife as well. (I don't do caves nor wreck penetration, for those the risk benefit ratio may be different)

I wonder how much of the opposition for the later practice has their source in the insistence for the first during trainings by some.

Yesterday I didn't bring my snorkel, wore my split fins and blew air on my reg first stage (really loud). No one complained because I was alone-- solo diving without a solo cert.

Yesterday I didn't bring my snorkel, wore my split fins and blew air on my reg first stage (really loud). No one complained because I was alone-- solo diving without a solo cert.
Man, you're lucky to have survived this very dangerous dive :cool::yeahbaby:

Having spent years as a kid snorkeling and wishing for those years a tank on my back and not having to surface
Having achieved, perhaps a particular psyche followed me into adulthood, where I do not want to use a snorkel

In my South African U/water Union (heavy BSAC influence), then CMAS training, a snorkle and knife were mandated. Problem arose as I was habituated from snorkling, spearfishing and u/water hockey to wear on my rhs. Could never get used to lhs wear. Using Spiro 2nd skirted the issue. Ended up with the snorkle in my pocket or strapped to the lhs between the cylinder and backplate. One long surface swim to the boat reinforced me carrying it. Horses for courses. Also useful for resusitation while towing a diver.

I always have a snorkel with me if I'm diving. It'll be a simple J snorkel with no attachments and I carry it slipped into the straps for my knife strapped to my calf. It's out of the way there but handy if I need it. If I need it, it's simple to just slip it under my mask strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom