Should there be a Solo Diving discussion section on this forum?

Should there be a Solo Diving discussion section on this board?

• Yes

Votes: 125 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 18.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gehadoski:
I believe that PADI has speciality in solo diving,
Nope.
gehadoski:
My opinion is that this forum should be in the place of tech-diving because passing the limit of the recreational diving, I think that the buddy is just for the company
The opposite, is in fact the case.

gehadoski:
and there is nothing that the buddy can do in case of any emergancies.
Huh? Let's hope this is not the case either. From what I read, tech divers actually develop superior buddy skills and are more buddy reliant.

String:
Probably a good idea, controversial topic that can degenerate into flame wars and mud slinging so just like the DIR forum (equally controversial a topic) give it its own forum with special rules to allow for the discussion of it and implementation without blanket "dont do it" type flames.

Completely different scenario's. One is a discussion forum over a particular dive philosophy that while it is controversial, is an approved agency and by all accounts stresses safety. The other (solo diving) is also controversial, but doesn't stress safety and is recognized by only a handful of RSTC members.

I imagine it would be akin to having a forum to discuss drunk driving... "since we all do it anyway, it would be good to discuss the best way to do it" just doesn't cut it. ESPECIALLY from a liability perspective. If someone adopts DIR philosophies they learned from the Internet, that's not more likely to kill them - you can't say that about solo diving.

If I were Pete (and I'm not) I wouldn't touch solo diving with a 10 foot pole.

I agree with the above statements that diving is dangerous and solo diving even more so.

Being a newbie with less than 20 dives, most would hope and think that I would choose not to do any solo dives till much later in my diving career. That being the case, I must admit I have at a local quarry when I showed up by myself and told the people who ran the place that I was alone and if they knew anyone that had shown up that I could buddy with. Basically they said to just find someone and ask if I could buddy up. The place was crowded with many groups and classes and I felt really out of place to go up to someone and say, "hey, I'm here by myself, can I impose on you and tag along?". So I decided to just go out myself. I had been there before and knew what it was like as far as vis and temp.

I say all of that because if there was a forum on solo diving, one like me could get possible hints and tips for me to hink about incase a similar situation comes up.

Jeff

Boogie711:
The other (solo diving) is also controversial, but doesn't stress safety
Actually, safety while solo diving is about the only thing discussed in books on solo diving. Is it safer, and how to solo dive safely. What else is there to talk about? I'm sure this would be the main discussion in a forum on solo diving.
Boogie711:
If I were Pete (and I'm not) I wouldn't touch solo diving with a 10 foot pole.
Maybe it could be in conjunction with a forum on learning to dive from a friend and be moderated by Karl? :wink:

I am not a solo diver, but have considered looking into it just to improve my self-sufficiency, even when diving with a buddy.

I think a solo-diving group would be a good forum to gather info and constructive debate from people who have developed that mindset and practiced it.

As a person who has enjoyed solo diving, I think a seperate forum is a great idea.

While I do agree that that many discussions will revolve around equipment configs, that's no reason to not allow a forum... otherwise we should probably look at whethere there needs to be a DIR forum (Not trying to start anything, just pointing out that the majority of the posts are equipment related).

There are other things that may come from a solo forum. Such as who are the preferred SDI Solo instructors in different areas? What dive facilities/boats/centers/resorts allow solo diving? And with what requirements? etc, etc.

As has been bubbled numerous times, its usually good to have constructive debate.

I agree with Boogie,

A solo dive forum is right up there with the "how to drive drunk" and "family fun with explosives" forum

Dorset boy, you have a lot to answer for on this one buy starting your previous thread. I hope you never get to hear about any deaths that occur from newbies seeing this discussed in open forum and then unsuccessfully giving it a go. I think the whole thread should be removed.

MORE THAN 80% OF DIVERS WHO DIE UNDERWATER DIE AFTER GETTING SEPARATED, OR WHILE SOLO DIVING.

cancun mark:
Dorset boy, you have a lot to answer for on this one buy starting your previous thread. I hope you never get to hear about any deaths that occur from newbies seeing this discussed in open forum and then unsuccessfully giving it a go. I think the whole thread should be removed.

So using that logic, does that mean that we should strike all tech threads, because there are divers out there without tech certs that think they've learned enough by reading posts and then hurt themselves doing poorly planned a tech dive?

If that is a true concern from the moderates, make a semi-private forum and only allow SDI Solo certified divers in.

So buy refusing solo diving a forum because a few people are on about "because its dangerous" then yes we should also ban any talk on technical diving, mixed gas, rebreathers and any deep stuff, after all, the statistics are clear on a higher % of incidents involving this type of diving compared to <30m "fun" dives.

A solo diving forum would be able to discuss equipment, techniques and methods to improve safety in much the same way the DIR forum claims to be all about the same thing.

Some people dislike solo diving and choose never to do it, thats fine and their decision. Some people dive solo often, are aware of the risks and do their best to minimise it, again thats fine, its their decision. Why not give them somewhere to talk about it ?

The quote about beginners rushing off to jump into the nearest lake solo because they read it on a message board is crazy - do these same people jump in armed with mixed gases, doing 60 mins of deco or on CCRs because they read it on a board too? No they dont. It wont influence them.

Boogie711:
Completely different scenario's. One is a discussion forum over a particular dive philosophy that while it is controversial, is an approved agency and by all accounts stresses safety. The other (solo diving) is also controversial, but doesn't stress safety and is recognized by only a handful of RSTC members.

Well, that's a bit of problematic reasoning since GUE is not a member of RSTC.
Make up your mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom