Suggestion Should we have a politics subforum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H2Andy

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
many users (myself included) would like to discuss politics on our favorite board (i.e. ScubaBoard)

management feels, with reason, that politics may be too divisive and cause more grief than it is worth.

let's compromise. i propose the following:

1. a probationary Politics Subforum will be created. At any time management feels the forum is "more trouble than it's worth" it has the right to close it.

2. membership will be a privilege. you will opt in, and if you abuse the privilege, you will lose the ability to post. this way, we will weed out bad posters until only civil discourse remains.

3. TOS will be enforced by Mods as elsewhere on the board, with the exception that politics will be allowed. any personal attack, mean language, or any other violation of the TOS will result in your loss of posting privileges. at management discretion, your loss of posting privileges will be temporary or permanent. i suggest three temporary loss of posting privileges for the first three infractions. on the fourth infraction, you will lose your right to post on the forum.

4. the members themselves must police the forum to keep management's work load to a minimum. the members must stop those who break TOS and must refrain from responding in kind. it's our job to keep the forum open and earn management's trust.

what do you all think?

WesTexDiver:
Took Polotics in college

hey, shouldn't that be "Poll" o-tics??

:rofl3:

Absolutely not. This is a board for diving and diving related discussions. I'd like to see Religion thrown out as well.

even though it's an opt-in forum and you never have to go there?

Yup. The two most divisive things on this planet are religion and politics, and I can't believe they won't leach their way over into other areas. I'd rather come here to share a common passion than discuss divisive issues.

ReefGuy:
Absolutely not. This is a board for diving and diving related discussions. I'd like to see Religion thrown out as well.
Amen!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ReefGuy:
Yup. The two most divisive things on this planet are religion and politics, and I can't believe they won't leach their way over into other areas. I'd rather come here to share a common passion than discuss divisive issues.

nod

well, it's going to be close ... looks like the yes and the nos are about tied

NWGratefulDiver:
Amen!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well... you'd have to throw out a lot more than just religion if you want to make
it just a diving board

i think that's not who we are anymore, and haven't been for quite a while

i think any mature discussion should be allowed (duh, i started the poll)

a HA! Looks like its already causing division :)

H2Andy:
nod

well, it's going to be close ... looks like the yes and the nos are about tied

ReefGuy:
a HA! Looks like its already causing division :)

it's NOT!!!

:rofl3:

I think it's a great idea. Then if a discussion gets political as many do it can be moved to the political forum indtred of having some over zelous moderator jump in and wipe out long debates they don't agree with.

hard enough to keep things friendly as it is with back inflate vs BP/W, etc :D
But I do like your proposed rules, it might work, but there probably would be only one person left in the forum, a Mod :wink:

Back
Top Bottom