Suggestion Should we have a politics subforum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H2Andy

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
many users (myself included) would like to discuss politics on our favorite board (i.e. ScubaBoard)

management feels, with reason, that politics may be too divisive and cause more grief than it is worth.

let's compromise. i propose the following:

1. a probationary Politics Subforum will be created. At any time management feels the forum is "more trouble than it's worth" it has the right to close it.

2. membership will be a privilege. you will opt in, and if you abuse the privilege, you will lose the ability to post. this way, we will weed out bad posters until only civil discourse remains.

3. TOS will be enforced by Mods as elsewhere on the board, with the exception that politics will be allowed. any personal attack, mean language, or any other violation of the TOS will result in your loss of posting privileges. at management discretion, your loss of posting privileges will be temporary or permanent. i suggest three temporary loss of posting privileges for the first three infractions. on the fourth infraction, you will lose your right to post on the forum.

4. the members themselves must police the forum to keep management's work load to a minimum. the members must stop those who break TOS and must refrain from responding in kind. it's our job to keep the forum open and earn management's trust.

what do you all think?

There are plenty of political blogs out there.

We've been inundated with political negativism for quite awhile now.....diving and talking about diving is a nice escape. Lets keep it that way!!!!

No politics on Scubaboard, there is a 50% chance that someone disagree with your views, and turn the thread into a public personal attack! Someday, we may end up diving together, and one of us will be thinking, " I swear that I turned my air on."

Divedoggie:
why must i be a bad dog? why must i chase the cat?

Andy's RIGHT!!!

:54:

fragging 5 letter minimum

Andy... i voted yes but only if we can also discuss/debate abortion as well :wink:

seriiously.... too many feelings will be hurt, the forum would implode

we cant discuss whaleing (something i thought most common sense people would disagree with) without a all out slugging match

cheers

:11:

wait, don't you mean

almitywife:
Andy, i voted Yes 47 times.

?

i figured with the opt-in forum process, we can weed out those who can't argue civilly (who will lose their posting privileges) and the rest of us will be able to discuss these things civilly

also, if political discussions pop up around the board, they can be directed to that one forum rather than having the thread deleted

it's a WIN WIN situation!!

see, even you agree:

almitywife:
Why, yes, I agree!

:wink:

almitywife:
Andy... i voted yes but only if we can also discuss/debate abortion as well :wink:

seriiously.... too many feelings will be hurt, the forum would implode

we cant discuss whaleing (something i thought most common sense people would disagree with) without a all out slugging match

cheers

I thought you were staying outta trouble today :)

Love ya Mrs. A!!!!

BTW I voted yes but only if it is supporting members only:)

I'd vote yes if the only way you could post was via voice recognition software, while underwater, with your reg out and speaking into a microphone. Most political discussions are only for the pleasure of those that enjoy hearing themselves talk, or those that just like to poke the beehive. The "facts" behind most political debates are not concrete and are subject to interpretation, usually to the benefit of the person spouting them. We've been talking politics since the late 1750's and still can't get it right. Why inflict that here?

Have it opt in only, unmoderated, it can be the bad part of town you don't want to go to.

I'm conflicted on this. part of me likes the notion, with your proposed rules to enforce civility.

But part of me worries about creating rifts between people who have otherwise been friends, once they get into some political subject where they find out they're polar opposites. Not everyone does, but sometimes people do end up taking such disagreements too personally, especially in an impersonal format such as this & it can cause problems.

Religious discussions often do the same thing.

Sometimes it can be frustrating to not be able to talk about some things, but sometimes doing so can create a lot of animosity.

So I'm a definite "maybe" :wink:

Wayward Son:
But part of me worries about creating rifts between people who have otherwise been friends, once they get into some political subject where they find out they're polar opposites.

that is certainly true.

but you know, i have hope ... especially for a probationary forum... maybe we can discuss politics like we discuss religion and rather than being divisive, it is something else that brings us back to our friends at ScubaBoard

i do think politics is more volatile than religion ... but i guess i'm willing to give it a try

A smart business meets its customers demand. Perhaps specialized forums could be offered at a fee. You can see who is really serious and turn a little profit. It might even improve SCUBAboard as the BS goes to the back room.

Back
Top Bottom