Suggestion Should we have a politics subforum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H2Andy

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
many users (myself included) would like to discuss politics on our favorite board (i.e. ScubaBoard)

management feels, with reason, that politics may be too divisive and cause more grief than it is worth.

let's compromise. i propose the following:

1. a probationary Politics Subforum will be created. At any time management feels the forum is "more trouble than it's worth" it has the right to close it.

2. membership will be a privilege. you will opt in, and if you abuse the privilege, you will lose the ability to post. this way, we will weed out bad posters until only civil discourse remains.

3. TOS will be enforced by Mods as elsewhere on the board, with the exception that politics will be allowed. any personal attack, mean language, or any other violation of the TOS will result in your loss of posting privileges. at management discretion, your loss of posting privileges will be temporary or permanent. i suggest three temporary loss of posting privileges for the first three infractions. on the fourth infraction, you will lose your right to post on the forum.

4. the members themselves must police the forum to keep management's work load to a minimum. the members must stop those who break TOS and must refrain from responding in kind. it's our job to keep the forum open and earn management's trust.

what do you all think?

Why not? It would be a total blood bath but what the heck. We can't even agree on split vs. jets so what would be the point? Take a look at the "best scuba car" thread. We start talking about cars, then environmentalists, then nazis. If the board did have one I'd never read or post in it.

jeraldjcook:
We start talking about cars, then environmentalists, then nazis.
Really, I got to go see this. :D
I dive with split fins. :)

I couldn't find it, did it get removed to the back room?

:edit: found it, amazing

Wayward Son:
But part of me worries about creating rifts between people who have otherwise been friends, once they get into some political subject where they find out they're polar opposites.
Not true Stu. Remember how we fought on D2D? And now, on this board, we still hate each other.
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I am a solidly kind of a maybe on this one. It would be cool to be able to discuss and debate the issues of the day with everyone, but I am not sure that things won't "bleed over" into the rest of the board.

So far it looks like there's more against than for anyway...

Must be those biased liberal Mods messing with the numbers! :rofl3:

Maybe you should have made it a public poll Andy....you never know!!! :eyebrow:

Kim:
So far it looks like there's more against than for anyway...

Must be those biased liberal Mods messing with the numbers! :rofl3:

Maybe you should have made it a public poll Andy....you never know!!! :eyebrow:

i thought it was a public poll? :huh:

as for the vote itself, i think the idea is a strong one, even if many people would not use the forum

Divedoggie:
There are plenty of political blogs out there.

We've been inundated with political negativism for quite awhile now.....diving and talking about diving is a nice escape. Lets keep it that way!!!!

No politics on Scubaboard, there is a 50% chance that someone disagree with your views, and turn the thread into a public personal attack! Someday, we may end up diving together, and one of us will be thinking, " I swear that I turned my air on."
Hey,
I'm making a list of people "I want to dive with"................:D :D :D
a political forum would help narrow..oops, broaden the potential buddies...:eyebrow:

oh, i see... got it

no, i can't see who voted for what either

Back
Top Bottom