Suggestion Should we have a politics subforum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H2Andy

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
many users (myself included) would like to discuss politics on our favorite board (i.e. ScubaBoard)

management feels, with reason, that politics may be too divisive and cause more grief than it is worth.

let's compromise. i propose the following:

1. a probationary Politics Subforum will be created. At any time management feels the forum is "more trouble than it's worth" it has the right to close it.

2. membership will be a privilege. you will opt in, and if you abuse the privilege, you will lose the ability to post. this way, we will weed out bad posters until only civil discourse remains.

3. TOS will be enforced by Mods as elsewhere on the board, with the exception that politics will be allowed. any personal attack, mean language, or any other violation of the TOS will result in your loss of posting privileges. at management discretion, your loss of posting privileges will be temporary or permanent. i suggest three temporary loss of posting privileges for the first three infractions. on the fourth infraction, you will lose your right to post on the forum.

4. the members themselves must police the forum to keep management's work load to a minimum. the members must stop those who break TOS and must refrain from responding in kind. it's our job to keep the forum open and earn management's trust.

what do you all think?

I would like to nominate Andy for political moderator. (Want to take on religion too?)

wedivebc:
I would like to nominate Andy for political moderator. (Want to take on religion too?)

hehehe

no way, i want to argue and call people names ... er... participate

you're OUT OF ORDER!

:rofl3:

Many aspects of our sport are impacted by political decisions and as such understanding those issues that might limit our access to diving in the future should be an important part of this board. Diving Isla de la Juventud for Americans, access to public beaches and waters, charges for diving on state and federal land, local and state regulations of dive shop operations, preparation costs and ability to sink artificial reefs, travel taxes and costs, are just a few of the many places diving and politics cross and are better discussed by divers than some bureaucrat in a vacuum.

The real question is whether I need to drive up to Jacksonville with rum in tote to discuss politics.

H2Andy:
management feels, with reason, that politics may be too divisive and cause more grief than it is worth.

I agree. It would be awful.

If you think DIR and Pony Bottles stir people up, try politics.

Terry

Web Monkey:
I agree. It would be awful.

If you think DIR and Pony Bottles stir people up, try politics.

Terry
Sometimes you have to stir up the silt to see what’s under it.

ShakaZulu:
I think you are on the wrong forum.......

http://www.politicsforum.org/
Life is politics, politics is life. Still, there are better sites to visit if that's what you want to discuss.

I'd prefer to come here to talk about scuba diving. Some diving issues may inherently involve politics, and to that extent, fine.

But IMHO if you want to discuss distinctly political issues there are better forums to use to do so.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill51:
Many aspects of our sport are impacted by political decisions and as such understanding those issues that might limit our access to diving in the future should be an important part of this board. Diving Isla de la Juventud for Americans, access to public beaches and waters, charges for diving on state and federal land, local and state regulations of dive shop operations, preparation costs and ability to sink artificial reefs, travel taxes and costs, are just a few of the many places diving and politics cross and are better discussed by divers than some bureaucrat in a vacuum.

I agree. Make my rum a double, will you good man?

I am really amazed that religion is ok to be discuss and not politic.
Religion is a personnal thing, on the opposite, politic is how we decide to organise ourselves to live together. Politic has to do with diving much more than religion.

(not sure i'm really clear, please tell me)

A political forum?
Good idea - easier to avoid.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom