Show me your mount!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cree XML 1000 lumen using 18650 3,7v Li-ion batteries.

Hero3 black with LCD BacPac, NL 10" tray and 12" flex arms. ARCHON D11V lights, XM-L Cree LED, 860 lumens ea, 110 degrees beam angle each, uses 1 18650 Li-Ion battery. Also have a Polar Pro red snap-on filter.

View attachment 146144

Hi,
I have the same lights as you but I still don't have a mount for it. Which one are you using? I noticed that archon have their own ball joint mount. Did you get the mount from china or is there a universal mount for them?

I'm completely new to underwater videography so I don't have a clue what works together.

Kind regards
Lars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This cave video was shot using just the Jaws Flex Clamp (from GoPro)
[video=youtube;vAHt3ku9wyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHt3ku9wyM[/video] gopro-jaws-flex-clamp-acmpm-001-10.jpg

After trying many different ways of mounting my GoPro, this is my solution, hot off the press. It allows me to alternate between WA or macro video on the same dive relatively easily.

Components:
1. GoPro Hero 3 Black with LCD
2. Backscatter Flip System with two 55 mm adapter rings
3. Backscatter Macromate Mini Lens
4. SRP URPro CY Filter - great idea to add this filter to the Backscatter adapter ring. I can't take credit for it, it was someone on ScubaBoard, sorry can't remember who.
5. Compression spring latch for Macromate Mini Lens - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/go...ethod-locking-back-backscatter-macromate.html
6. L&M Sola 2000 Video Lights x 2
7. UCLS Ball Mount Handles x 2
8. UCLS Connectors x 4
9. Aluminium bar (3.2 mm) for tray
10. Bolt-snap and bungee

Macro Configuration:

P1080567-2_zps0a2fb007.jpg

P1080566_zps3ae66b2a.jpg

WA Configuration:

P1080569-2_zpsaa10ec68.jpg

Learning Points:

- Getting this right has become an expensive and time consuming labour of love. If I were to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't and just get a compact camera capable of HD video. Alternatively, I would get one of these: Hugyfot GoPro HERO3 Pro Package -

- Your lights cannot be too powerful for WA photography in open water/day light. I thought 2000 lumens x 2 was excessive, it isn't.

- Battery life remains a major limitation of the GoPro Hero3 Black. I look forward to seeing what the Hero4 has to offer.

- I made life very difficult for myself by choosing ball mount connectors instead of Loc-Line. Ball mount connectors are inherently less flexible and you need to think very carefully about arm length, especially for macro video. On balance, I should have just bought an SRP Tray with Loc-Line arms.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments and criticisms welcome!

Last edited:
Here is my setup.

Hero 3+ with a flip 3.1 and a macro. Gobe 700 lumen lights mounted on the cold shoe on a DC800 for stills. I have the LCD backpack and have 4 batteries, 2 gopro and 2 wasabi. I haven't gotten to use it yet so I can't speak to the quality or capacity of the batteries.

photo.JPG

After trying many different ways of mounting my GoPro, this is my solution, hot off the press. It allows me to alternate between WA or macro video on the same dive relatively easily.

Components:
1. GoPro Hero 3 Black with LCD
2. Backscatter Flip System with two 55 mm adapter rings
3. Backscatter Macromate Mini Lens
4. SRP URPro CY Filter - great idea to add this filter to the Backscatter adapter ring. I can't take credit for it, it was someone on ScubaBoard, sorry can't remember who.
5. Compression spring latch for Macromate Mini Lens - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/go...ethod-locking-back-backscatter-macromate.html
6. L&M Sola 2000 Video Lights x 2
7. UCLS Ball Mount Handles x 2
8. UCLS Connectors x 4
9. Aluminium bar (3.2 mm) for tray
10. Bolt-snap and bungee

Macro Configuration:

P1080567-2_zps0a2fb007.jpg

P1080566_zps3ae66b2a.jpg

WA Configuration:

P1080569-2_zpsaa10ec68.jpg

Learning Points:

- Getting this right has become an expensive and time consuming labour of love. If I were to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't and just get a compact camera capable of HD video. Alternatively, I would get one of these: Hugyfot GoPro HERO3 Pro Package -

- Your lights cannot be too powerful for WA photography in open water/day light. I thought 2000 lumens x 2 was excessive, it isn't.

- Battery life remains a major limitation of the GoPro Hero3 Black. I look forward to seeing what the Hero4 has to offer.

- I made life very difficult for myself by choosing ball mount connectors instead of Loc-Line. Ball mount connectors are inherently less flexible and you need to think very carefully about arm length, especially for macro video. On balance, I should have just bought an SRP Tray with Loc-Line arms.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments and criticisms welcome!

So you dont use any floats ? - I have about same setup with 4 large stixs floats but its still too negative. Also found out that ball mounts are not the most flexible ones ...

sent from mobile unit

So you dont use any floats ? - I have about same setup with 4 large stixs floats but its still too negative. Also found out that ball mounts are not the most flexible ones ...

sent from mobile unit

no float, but i was mainly using this rig for macro and found the negative buoyancy helped. i'm embarrassed to say that i have re-jigged the whole thing yet again and am now on to version 15 or something :banghead:

the new version is much simpler and lighter, it's basically just a strip of aluminium with two ball mount handles, a clip, and a gopro mount. the only clever thing about it is that i have used a backscatter 55 mm adapter ring as a spare lens holder.

oh, and i've scrapped the arms altogether, just not needed with such wide angle video lights. i have the lights pointing outwards for WA shots now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom