Side mount Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased a side mount regulator set and the Hollis SMS100. I dive dry suit and need an inflator on both sides. Hollis SMS100 came with 12" inflator hose and 1st stages have a turret and 5th LP port on the end.

Most of my issues are with the left tank. The right tank has a long hose and 12" inflator hose to DrySuit and is fine. The left tank came with a 22" hose which is too short to go around the neck and get tanks under the arm. I put a 30" hose on it and that is better. However, with the inflator, the Hollis SMS100 inflator is on the shoulder and 12" inflator hose is too short and the hose is pointed in on the 5th port and making it hard to get the bottle under the arm not to mention if you try to move the tank out front it gets all tangled up.

So in short how do you rout inflator hose for the left tank and what is the length of the hose?

Secondly, do you put the 5th port in our out?

left side-30" regulator hose, 14" inflator hose going to the wing. Reg hose will be personal preference based on size. Both hoses come out the sides of the turret with the reg hose closest to my body.
right side-9' reg hose since my buddy and I are tall, but most use a 7'. 14" drysuit hose on the opposite side of the turret going up. Can also be a long length drysuit hose run down with the long hose and back up.

with non turret regs, but you can get the idea. The right bottle is with a drysuit long hose going down and back up. I have turret first stages now, but do not use the 5th ports and haven't had much of a reason to bother with one. That said, the turret should be closest to your body for proper hose positioning on the left side
15025390_10157748947445134_3212809053223266062_o.jpg

Thanks for the info. A follow up question...

Does the inflator on your wing come from the bottom or top? The SMS100 comes from the top. Based on Hollis they do not recomend using the inflator on the bottom. However I tried it and do not seam to have any problems with it other than a little harder to dump air.

It seams like the inflator hose would be better coming up from the bottom.

@Octopusprime inflator comes from the bottom. I would argue that the majority of SMS100's in existence have succumbed to the "Sorenson Swap" and have their inflators coming from the bottom left.
There are a series of other modifications that he does to the SMS100 that are done to it which basically turns it into an SMS75 which makes it much better for sidemount

Thanks for the info. A follow up question...

Does the inflator on your wing come from the bottom or top? The SMS100 comes from the top. Based on Hollis they do not recomend using the inflator on the bottom. However I tried it and do not seam to have any problems with it other than a little harder to dump air.

It seams like the inflator hose would be better coming up from the bottom.

What Tbone said

Move the power inflator to the bottom and put the pull dump on the shoulder. Use the inflator to inflate and the pull dump to vent. Unless your someplace weird or overweighted, the inflator is quite low and not optimal for dumping.

Back
Top Bottom