Sidemount regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that is one of the problems you'll encounter. For the most part when your are dropping 1K for a regulator set, you don't have several to compare with, and $$$ prevent most from owning multiple manufacturer sets. The only possibility is going to several shops and doing a test dive for comparison. My preference is mix and match. There are some real dogs out for 1st stage configuration, but second stages are great (as well as visa versa). The downside is I have to service two different brands,but I feel like I get my cake and eat it too.

Exactly thus the need to get information to get it right the first time.

Over the years I have had an Aries, Sherwood, hog and now the Hollis. The areis was cheep and my first. It is what I could afford. As I tried to upgrade I went to the hog hated it. It was very heavy. Tried every mouthpiece and it did not help. Sherwood was ok.

I got the Hollis dc1/212 for $199 on a Black Friday deal. I did not know a regulator could breath that nice. It was recommended to
Me by LDS as they knew my long time problem with jaw fatigue. It is really light. There is a bunch of cave divers at the shop that use them for all their regs. We

@Octopusprime
I've been at this game for a while, not as long as some, but longer than most. I've tried to stay unbiased and reasonable without getting heated, but you are clearly trying to get us to validate your choice to spend money on the Hollis, and I can't in good conscience do that, so I won't.

here's my issues with Hollis, this is nothing new, and it is nothing that can't be validated by many people. Call up Cave Adventurers, ask to speak to Edd or John and get their opinion on why they are the largest Hollis dealer in the world for their sidemount rigs but almost never sell a single one of their regulators in favor of HOG, Dive Rite, and now Deep6. I can guarantee you it isn't because the margin is better, they'd make a boatload more money if they sold Hollis regulators instead of the ones above
  • horrifically overpriced for what they are *read knock offs of Apeks and there are others that can be bought at half the cost*
  • no customer service so to speak *until you get to Nick personally which is ridiculous*
  • refusal to sell parts to customers

Those are facts, not opinions.
My issue with the price is that it is $1400+ for Hollis. Not that it is $1400. I will spend money on quality products if I have to, but I damn well better be getting everything that I expect from something that costs that much. You asked about lighter second stages, and the Xstream is one of the lightest on the market. You claim it is $300 more, but it isn't. It's actually the same price as the LX200 set. The Poseidon Xstream sidemount set on DGX is $1489 with both inflator hoses, elbows, and all braided hoses. Only $80 more than the Hollis but comes with both LPI's *$40*, and angle adapters *$30*, so basically the same price when all is said and done.
With that you get the following vs. the Hollis set from DRiS.
  • Military grade quality control-the QC from Poseidon on their regulators is incredible. It is one of the only regulators in the world qualified for deep, cold, military diving by the Norsok test and it is also qualified for US Navy diving. Hollis can claim neither.
  • Same price so you're paying for a top of the line regulator, but you're at least getting one, so at that price point, it represents a much better value.
  • Customer service in the US is fantastic now that Poseidon USA has been established. Parts are available *not something Hollis can say*, they ship quickly, and if there's any issues, James and his team are going to bend over backwards to make it right.
  • Ability to take the service course as an end user and purchase whatever parts are necessary to service your regs regardless of affiliation with a shop.
You can ask many on here that while it is known that I am a HUGE Poseidon lover and that I own well over a dozen of their regulators, I very rarely recommend them because there are regulators at significantly lower price points that are better for most divers. It came up here solely because of the second stage weight.

With all that above, yeah, I have an issue with Hollis regulators because they are overpriced for what they are, and I have an issue with the company as a whole which is part of why it almost went bankrupt and had to get sold to prevent it from getting there. That is nothing new, and they have yet to disprove me in the near decade I've been diving. I was given a Hollis Katana and I feel it is the best sidemount rig on the market, outside of that, they had some nifty computers prior to the acquisition, but the only product they sell that I could ever recommend is the Katana. Everything else they have has competition that is better performing and lower cost, so you get nothing by having the red H on your gear except a lighter wallet.

There is literally nothing that you can factually state that would ever make the Hollis regulators a good value. You can throw literally anything you want at me and I can flat out guarantee that unless it has something to do with "I like it", or "my shop likes them", both of which are valid reasons to purchase something as long as you understand that you did it based on an emotional variable vs. a factual one, that I can shoot it down with another option that is either better at that price point *did it with the Poseidon Xstream set above*, or better performing and significantly lower cost *did it with the Deep6*.

On your jaw problems and why you are concerned about second stage weight. What hose configuration do you currently use in your singles setups? If you are not using a setup with the hose behind your neck, i.e. 5' or 7' primary, that configuration will more than likely solve any issues you are having because the regulator is supported by your neck. Part of why I no longer dive any single tank configurations with a short hose.

Last edited:
The Poseidon Xstream sidemount set on DGX is $1489 with both inflator hoses, elbows, and all braided hoses. Only $80 more than the Hollis but comes with both LPI's *$40*, and angle adapters *$30*, so basically the same price.
With that you get the following vs. the Hollis set from DRiS.

If I was about to spend $1400-1500 on a reg set, there in NO way I would pick Hollis over this Xstream set.

I have a peices of Hollis gear in my stable. My only. Experience with customer service was horrible. Two unanswered emails to resolve a poorly fitting BC inflator elbow that I just ended up fixing myself with a replacement part from Dive Rite.

..Did I mention that Poseidon Xstreams are pretty awsome regs?!

I have a Hollis DC3/212 setup for single-tank. I have Dive Rite XTs for sidemount and back mount doubles. I like them both equally. If I were buying a new set, between the 2, I would buy whichever costs less. Well, except I would be looking for a DC1 first stage. I am now only considering buying regs with a swivel turret and bottom port. So, I wouldn't buy another DC3.

Dive Gear Express sells service kits for Hollis and Dive Rite, so I can service either myself.

I've tried MiFlex and rubber hoses. Elbows and swivels. All my regs now have rubber hoses and swivels from Cave Adventurers.

Tbone - I'm sorry if you have gotten all upset it is obvious you have a very strong opinion. I am not looking for someone to validate my choice I am looking for actual differences between the units and practical application differences.

I will NEVER buy another Hog they are heavy and I tried everything to make it work. I do not have unlimited funds for diving.

Deep 6 told me the reg is not a good fit for me. I will take a look at the atomic regs. I would love to get reg set for $600 if they will work for my but if I can not use them it is waisted money.

I go to multiple local dive shops and have never had any problems getting my hollis gear serviced and have never had any of them complain about hollis or have any issue getting service parts. I will talk to the local shop that services my gear. They are a very large service center and service all brands. I trust them.

I have not heard any problems from you that the Hollis has failed, or life expectancy of reg is shorter than others. Or that they do not perform well in certain conditions.

Stewart I to have the dc3/212 but want to have the swivel on 1st stage on future regs.

@tbone1004 I have been scouring the web for any warnings about Hollis regs and all I find is reciew after review that the Hollis regs repeatedly showing up in the top of the rankings? Hollis has not had a recal on anything since 2014 and any regulator since 2013.

Please show me any records of any quality issues? I would like any info you may have.

... all I find is reciew after review that the Hollis regs repeatedly showing up in the top of the rankings?

Quite often, ranking in reviews equals the amount of advertising revenue that a manufacturer provides to the media doing the review.

Hollis have a very, very good marketing strategy...

@tbone1004 I have been scouring the web for any warnings about Hollis regs and all I find is reciew after review that the Hollis regs repeatedly showing up in the top of the rankings? Hollis has not had a recal on anything since 2014 and any regulator since 2013.

Please show me any records of any quality issues? I would like any info you may have.
There’s nothing wrong with Hollis regs per se. It’s just that, at that price point you can get a LOT better regs or get the same quality a lot cheaper. I agree with @tbone1004 on this. I wanted to try the Hollis ambidextrous regs as an alternative. They look great, perform well but I could never justify that cost for what I was getting.

Hollis has not had a recal on anything since 2014 and any regulator since 2013.

This means they're either amazingly high quality, or assiduously avoiding public knowledge of performance deficit issues.

I'm inclined to trust manufacturers that are open and eager to get problems corrected, even at the cost of publicity and profit.

Not having recalls proves nothing, either positive or negative.

The question is could/should there have been recalls.. and weren't?

I don't use Hollis regs, and don't know anyone using them... so I'm not qualified to answer that question.

Please show me any records of any quality issues?

Transparency and quality management issues tend to be inversely related.

It's absurd to ask for public 'records', released by any company, that illustrated a deficit in product quality or service.

Such records only ever arise from independent regulatory or watchdog organizations... and it's patently obvious that the scuba industry has no such body, especially in regards to equipment performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom