Silicone Zip Seals tearing easy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bankyf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just received my silicone neck seal today. Cut it two rings bigger than the recommended size as indicated in the instructions, tried it on and it was a little too tight. I removed the seal and carefully cut one more ring off, wore it for about ten minutes to make sure I could live with it. I then slid four fingers under the seal on each side to stretch it back over my head and... rip. Brand new zip seal is trashed. I loved this seal for the 10 minutes that it was functional and would gladly buy another if I can make it work, but if these seals rip that easy they are just not going to work for me. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have well over 100 dives on my current latex neck zip seal with not one issue. The DUI website says:
Easy to put on and take off due to excellent stretch and slick coating applied to the inside of the seal
but later goes on to mention how much easier silicone tears. Am I the only one having this problem? Did I just get a bad seal? I did find it a bit concerning how easy it was to push my finger through and tear the top section that was initially cut off the new seal..

Keeping an eye on the responses... I have a silicone neck seal in my kit for backup, so I have yet to try it out yet.

Not a problem here. Dui uses a very good silicone. You have to be careful when you cut it as you may create a runner. If you jam your finger in the silicone it will stretch unless something sharp cuts it...try that with the others and you'll push right through the silicone. The dui seals are so expensive because of the molding process, quality of silicone, and the acid etch on the backs that keep them slippery...worth the coin IMO. Don't give up on them.

I have a silicon neck seal & I'm not very gentle with it, putting it on or taking it off. So far no problems with tears. I cut the neck seal with scissors designated for cutting seals only, so it stays sharp & doesn't cause "divots" or "spurs" that can cause tears. The only problem I have with it is it rolls terribly,... but then I have basically no neck. I does seal much better than the latex seals, for me, anyways.

If you jam your finger in the silicone it will stretch unless something sharp cuts it...try that with the others and you'll push right through the silicone. The dui seals are so expensive because of the molding process, quality of silicone, and the acid etch on the backs that keep them slippery...worth the coin IMO. Don't give up on them.

That's the thing. After destroying the seal, I experimented with the end piece that was cut off. I was shocked at how easily my finger pushed through. I have noticed the tendency to roll as well, but had decided I could live with that.

Thanks Kathy. I have been in touch with customer service. I will follow up here with the outcome.

Hi Bankyf,

Can you please call our Customer Support at 800-325-8439 or email support@dui-online.com? The seal has a 90 day warranty. If you can contact us, send your seal and proof of purchase we can replace.

Thank you,

Kathy

Received the new seal last night, thanks for the great service DUI! This actually feels tougher/thicker than the last one. Possibly just psychological, but I put it on and took it off several times without issue. I also seemed to have a much harder time pushing my finger through the piece I cut off the top. Thanks again for warrantying this DUI.

Color me impressed! Warranty on a neck seal? Fantastic! Is this just for the silicone, or does DUI warranty all of their seals?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom