Similans update!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ringo:
Frank owner and Keith the DM on The Junk reckon their last cruise was a "Grand Slam". They saw Mantas, Whalesharks and Sharks! For those still going - hope you see them too!

Frank's seeing whalesharks and mantas in the clouds around his head...
Oops, now that was a bit naughty:D

Well, I was there just a week ago. Urm, maybe that was during the qucke at Sumatra.

Koh Bon and Richeule Rock viz is not good. On one side of the island, it is covered with reddish brown planktons (Viz < 2m) and the super thermocline some I am sure hits below 27 degrees? But a great place to be in where I was two mantas of at least 5m wingspan !

Some parts of the corals have bleached compared to 2 years ago visit in similan island. Lots of Octopus and squids around.

A huge school of Chervons Baracudda of about more one half feet length. Big eyed Trevally of about one feet.

Some white tips and a juvenile lepoard. Almost everything is there except for the whale shark. I am sure it is there cos have seen those large sucker fish which I think is alittle too large for the mantas.

Current was strong at both Koh Bon and the Rock. Did our last dive at Boomsung Wreck instead. It has torn into 4 pieces; works of the tsumani? Marine life is fantastic. Like a shopping market or should I say like in ADEX where they are selling $1 for a piece of wetsuit.

I am sure I have to visit again.

Ringo:

Dear Ringo, I'm glad at least one person got the joke! I've recently heard some sad stories from the Junk crew and truly pity them. Maybe it's all just "smoke in the air" but it surely "stinks". Now did I smell a rat there?:D

hi all
just returned from Similans last evening. was on board MV REal Wicked Witch.

yup, the Viz was real bad at Richlieu, but managed to see the harlequin shrimps, pineapple fish, a pair of ghostpipe fish and a yellow sea horse. saw the mantas at Koh Bon, and the eagle rays were there too..

saw a baby whale shark only around 1.8m long i thk.. on the first day, but we were on the boat.. it swam to the boat near Anita's Reef..

octopus' were everywhr.. pretty "friendly" too..
on the whole depsite the bad viz, i had a really gd few days.

it's the first time i have seen it too!!!! had hte same expression as you.. quite small like a 50cts coin... it's yellow/black boxed pattern on the body..maybe you can find it on the reef book guide in Asia.. coz the DM showed it to me before we went for the dive.. and found it for us.. i was AMAZED!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom