Simplest and most streamlined 'clipped-on' dsmb storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roydude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've seen many-a-video showing dsmb storage options, almost all of which use a double ended clip and almost all of which leave the spool and dsmb dangling apart a bit.

In my unending quest to simplify and streamline I came up with this method, simply using two loops of bungee on a single clip:

PICT0001.jpgPICT0002.jpgPICT0003.jpgPICT0004.jpgPICT0005.jpg

The loops go through two holes in the finger spool (or through the handle of a larger spool) and then around the dsmb and voila! It's simple and is held very streamlined with no dangling!
It's a doddle to deploy (even with thick gloves on), just take the loops off the smb and pull the clip away from the spool (holding onto the spool in the process of course! :) ). It's very quick to deploy too - takes me about 15-20 seconds including unclipping it from the back of my crotch strap, and since I never clip a deployed dsmb to myself I only need a single-ended clip to lock the finger spool.

What do you think? Am I missing anything here (I might be, which is why I'm asking :wink: )?

My Buddy TD40 bcd had a special pocket for my dsmb, but my Zeagle Express Tech doesn't (which I prefer frankly because it's quicker to deploy without it), which is why I was looking for a 'clipped on' method that would work on any setup with a spare d-ring :wink:

That's the method I was taught too roydude. Very similar anyways. I don't think I had my bolt snap bungeed to the finger spool, wish I did because I lost my double ender.

I used to use the double-ender method too, but I just don't think it's necessary - this way seems much more secure and simple.

Definitely. I never really understood why you would use a double ender. I'll be doing this tomorrow since I never bought a new double ender.

most smb's on reels will fit in the pocket of most bc's. I have 4 different bc's and my reel will fit in a standard pocket of each.
DivemasterDennis

Personal preference for sure sir! I used to do the same, but I've grown to dislike 'things' in my bc pockets (I'm migrating to a harness setup, partially for this reason). I always found it kinda fumbly to get the dsmb + reel out of a bcd jacket pocket, especially if the bcd's a little inflated and even more so when I'm in a drysuit. But it is of course a personal thing.

I am a firm believer that any idea that works is a good one and any idea can be made better. Well done.

It “looks” like it might be a bit awkward to push the bungee on the bolt snap through the reel holes, especially with gloves in cold water. I wonder if small slots angled away from the rotation is worth considering?

These slots “could” make the string catch when unwinding (really bad), if not done “correctly”. They could also make the string harder to spool back on. The “correct” slot design may be impossible, unnecessary, or really cool. Any thoughts?

If slots could be made workable, perhaps they could also be used to secure the line to the reel before and after deployment???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom