Since when did DM's and instructors become experts of everything.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to explain that to people almost every day. We hear it in regards to scuba equipment constantly. My instructor said... My instructor uses... which is fine, except for where did he/she get their info? It's all too common they recieved it from some shop owner or even THEIR instructor who really only knows as much about gear as the last manufacturer's rep to wander in their door with a catalog.

Not that I'm the end all-be all of scuba equipment, but like many of us here I've seen gear evolve over the past 30+ years, have spent many years repairing it, and spent some years at a few manufacturers as the guy in charge of teaching the repair techs in your local dive shop to fix equipment. I also have a very deep mechanical background. I do kinda know how to evaluate equipment, and after many years of dealing with people as an instructor (ski, scuba, outdoor survival) and coach, I have at least a better than average grasp on what will and won't work for a person and why. And even with that, I advise people to check around and don't only trust my word. Being an instructor only means I've been taught to teach you the information I know. Not that I know all the information.

There are two parts to being a good teacher. One is that you have to have good knowledge of your subject, and the other is that you have to be able to convey that information in a way that is useful for your students.

I have taken a lot of instruction over 56 years, in many subjects and activities. I have taken instruction from people who were world-renowned in their fields, who couldn't teach anybody anything if they didn't already have the same world-class talent. I have taken lessons from people who were far less than stellar, but were good TEACHERS -- who could convey information, diagnose and correct deficiencies, and maintain enthusiasm and motivation in their students.

An instructor ought to have the humility not to teach what he doesn't know; my husband, who is actually a pretty darned good underwater photographer, refuses to teach the specialty because we have a friend who is a REALLY good one, and who teaches the class. Peter sends the students who want that training to our friend, because he is both superbly knowledgeable and a good teacher. Anybody teaching ought to have the insight to figure out what they can teach, and what they can't.

:thumb: I'd thank this post if I could! :)

<Out of
post_thanks1.gif
again!>
:)

reading this thread reminds me of my Zodiac on the back of my dive boat Good Time Charlie that i used for going out and getting divers who were in trouble,,

i had painted small divers on the bow for all the divers picked up,,and along with the many small divers was 3 large ones,,
divers would ask me from time to time what these were,,i would say these were 3 DIVE INSTRUCTORS who thought they could walk on water,,and from what i remember only one Person has ever done that!

I also feel that to teach something effectively you need to be passionate about it. I don't give a rats ass about what fish is what. I tell students go to amazon or ebay and buy a book them go dive. Or find a marine biologist who really knows them if you want more than just being able to tell them apart. I take some photos for me. If a student wants to learn photo the instructor who took a one day workshop on how to SELL the course is a poor choice. I have two who I will refer students to. Both are very good, have been published, and make some kind of living at it. Anyone else I don't even consider. I only offer advanced training in areas I know, am passionate about, and actually are part of my diving. Anything else is just taking peoples money.

Peter Guy - I think it really comes down to how it's taught and the student's prior experience. Even if done properly, that boat diving class isn't going to be worth a damn to someone who's done most of their diving off boats, assuming it's been in different locations, on a variety of different kinds of boats, rigs, etc.

I have enough photography experience that I'm sure I wouldn't learn a thing in that class. A week in Cayman or the Keys with Cathy Church or Stephen Frink would be a different story, though.

On the other hand, I know someone teaches the PADI video class, who's also a tech instructor, cave diver, etc., and who actually does some video production on the side. AKA: Great instructor and good enough at the video, that he actually makes some money doing it.

DM's and dive instructors are not experts on everything ... in fact, the best ones will readily admit that the more they know the more they realize they have yet to learn.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Exactly! The good ones are humble, and can even discuss this intelligently. It's the ones Zen was referring to who I'm sure would be bothered by my initial post.

ZenDiver.3D - Not lumping you you all together. It's in the employment forum. I even replied there asking them why?

An instructor is just a diver with a card showing a course they did, same as any other. As with any type of teachers some are good some are bad.

I don't know any instructor who claimed they knew it all just because they went through an IDC. I have met plenty of instructors who are still keen to learn when they see something new, and I suspect they are the better type to know.

i had painted small divers on the bow for all the divers picked up,,and along with the many small divers was 3 large ones,,
divers would ask me from time to time what these were,,i would say these were 3 DIVE INSTRUCTORS who thought they could walk on water,,and from what i remember only one Person has ever done that!

... and that's because his bull was catching up with him ...

jesuschrist.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am new to diving so my input is limited. I got certified this year in PADI open water, nitrox, and advanced open water. Through the three courses I have dealt with several different instructors as well as DM's. I personally believe some instructors think they are superior and that presence takes away from the class. While they can be chock full of knowledge their presentation SUCKS. I have changed some equipment numerous times and the know it alls do nothing buut knock what I purchased while other instructors or DM's will give me the pros and cons of the equipment.

I totally agree with grunster, I now only speak with a few of the instructors or dm's with questions on equipment or classes I wish to go for. While the know it all is a knowledgable instructor....his "dockside manner" sucks.

I am new to diving so my input is limited. I got certified this year in PADI open water, nitrox, and advanced open water. Through the three courses I have dealt with several different instructors as well as DM's. I personally believe some instructors think they are superior and that presence takes away from the class. While they can be chock full of knowledge their presentation SUCKS. I have changed some equipment numerous times and the know it alls do nothing buut knock what I purchased while other instructors or DM's will give me the pros and cons of the equipment.

I totally agree with grunster, I now only speak with a few of the instructors or dm's with questions on equipment or classes I wish to go for. While the know it all is a knowledgable instructor....his "dockside manner" sucks.

Teaching anything is a difficult task. I have had 8 instructors, all who have been what I consider at least quite good. But I still think the best was my OW Instructor. I recall her day job was that of elementary school teacher. So she probably breezed through the IDC/IE considering her college degree in education and years dealing with 30 kids in a class, which is a whole different ball game from 6 adults in an OW class (well, 5 adults and one squirrelly 12 year old, whom she dealt with very well)..

Back
Top Bottom