Single cylinder H Valve Q?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Levigarrett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My gear configurations are in flux at the moment. I recently completed an Extended Range/Adv Nitrox course and for that program I essentially purchased an entirely new set of gear. BP/W, Drysuit, 2 new regs, 2 new computers and a few other odds and ends. With that rig, I believe my configuration to be fairly standard, 5 D rings (1 each shoulder strap, 1 each hip and 1 crotch), long hose primary, necklaced oct, SPG on the left hip D ring. I'm happy with that configuration and it's been quite some time since I've been in a single tank set up. After completing Deco and perhaps Cavern, I'd like to take some time away from the training environment and just get back to "fun" diving with friends who have no interest in anything tech.

Prior to taking on a more tech approach to my diving, my gear configuration was fairly standard "recreational" and most of my gear selections were made impulsively. Additionally, I had no immediate plans for continued training. After completing my most recent course, I've decided that I'd like to emulate my tech set up as much as possible with a single tank BP/W set up. I already own two BP/harness setups, 1 steel and 1 aluminum.

The only dilemma is what to do with my existing single tank regulator/oct/computer package. Some of the folks I did the ER/AN course with use their current doubles regulator set up on an H valve equipped single cylinder. I have decided to go ahead and scuttle my Oceanic Excursion w/ Air2 and Pro Plus 2 in favor of a Hollis single cylinder wing mounted to my aluminum BP/harness and a SPG/wrist mounted computer respectively (Petrel or my Aladin 2G).

Admittedly, I'm not really in favor of the H valve solution for my regulator choice. I don't think most of the warm water dive sites I dive will have H valves available for rent and I find the entire set up to be somewhat cumbersome. Instead, I'm leaning toward a long hose primary with a necklaced oct set up all on a standard run of the mill first stage (my existing Oceanic EOS w/ the swivel removed.)

Tell me why I should be using the H valve? I think I'd prefer to hear that most of you also find the H valve cumbersome but I'm sure there are some nuggets of wisdom in favor of such a set up and I'm all ears. I already own enough regulators to go with either solution so the only real decision to be made concerns safety/comfort/ease.

Thanks in advance.

The H-Valve gives you some measure of redundancy. If you were to lose an O-ring on a HP or LP Hose, you could turn off that reg and have a complete setup to survive. If you were to lose a second stage, or a shark bit through your HP hose, you could simply turn off that regulator.

Admittedly, an H-Valve is a bit big and cumbersome, but it is safer. You gotta make a decision on which is more important to you.

Many of my friends would suggest you consider side mount. It can be used for recreational dives.

Personally I don't see the point in an H valve. I dive the single tank version of what you describe and sling an AL40 for redundancy.

Personally the track you are on... I don't see how owning 1 more reg set is that big of a deal.

The H-Valve gives you some measure of redundancy. If you were to lose an O-ring on a HP or LP Hose, you could turn off that reg and have a complete setup to survive. If you were to lose a second stage, or a shark bit through your HP hose, you could simply turn off that regulator.

Admittedly, an H-Valve is a bit big and cumbersome, but it is safer. You gotta make a decision on which is more important to you.

I'm familiar with the reason for the H valve but frankly, I'm inclined at this point to rely on solid buddy/team concepts should I have the kind of failure you describe. Additionally, I won't be diving this set up for anything particularly deep or requiring even the slightest obligation so access to immediate ascent is an available last resort. The other real problem is that I live in Central Florida but do most of my ocean diving in South Florida. My LDS has plenty of H valves available but that means I'd have to carry my own cylinders south every time I dive. I often use a personal aircraft when traveling south and taking full cylinders is not an option.

Thanks, I'll put you in the H valve column.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2013 at 10:59 PM ----------

Many of my friends would suggest you consider side mount. It can be used for recreational dives.

Personally I don't see the point in an H valve. I dive the single tank version of what you describe and sling an AL40 for redundancy.

Personally the track you are on... I don't see how owning 1 more reg set is that big of a deal.

I have taken my AL40 for deeper single tank dives before. That's always a solid option. I actually have enough regs to pull this off either way. I'm just looking for a little group think here. Thanks.

With regard your combined responses to me and Pete (Superlyte ) .... I agree with your buddy team redundancy point. I do that frequently and mainly have the AL40 for solo diving and in the circumstance of buddy separation. I know.. that shouldn't happen. But Lake Travis is a mud pit and it can.

So based on your training and tech gear... I'd suggest a single tank hogarthian setup. Do buddy/team diving in that for awhile and then decide if you really need redundancy.

Also, since you can't / don't want to carry tanks in your airplane.... my friends would argue that side mount is nice because you can just pick up two tanks where you go. I can do the same thing slinging an AL80 instead of an AL40. :) It's really not that big once in the water.

I have two Worthington X8-130 cylinders with H-valves. I use the same regulator set I use with my doubles when I dive them. I have a 26 inch HP SPG hose as the more common 24 inch is a bit to short with the H-valve. I use the 130's on deeper dives for the redundancy Superlyte27 mentions. The larger cylinders are for the extra gas reserve to bring two divers up from depth.

I tried a "Tec" regulator configuration (long hose, bungied short on the same first stage) for recreational diving for a while, but I found it was more trouble than I wanted to put up with. If I am diving warm water (3mm Full or Shorty) I use a DSS steel backplate and a 17 pound lift DSS wing. If I am in cooler water (5mm or Drysuit) I swap the T17 wing out with a 35 pound lift DSS wing. For these configurations I have a standard yoke regulator in typical recreational diving configuration. The Octo regulator (40 inch hose) comes under my arm and gets clipped to my right should D-ring, the SPG gets clipped to the left hip D-ring. There is no bungie or short hose on my primary regulator (I think it is a 28 inch hose). This works for me and I find it easier to pack, carry and manage on the typical recreational type dives I do.

I have two Worthington X8-130 cylinders with H-valves. I use the same regulator set I use with my doubles when I dive them.
I have the same setup. It allows me to switch from singles to doubles without any hose change configurations. Although I do dive a Hogarthian setup with a 7ft hose, bungee backup, and a 24 hp hose. I find the valves are fairly easy to reach.

I use H valves on all my tanks. There is a slight problem with using the same doubles set up on the H valve. Its tight to make work and depending on what regs you use could make it easy or more difficult. I am uaing mk25's and it is a trick to make a set of regs work on both twinset and the single h valve in the tight quarters with the wing hose between the valves. I am sure there is a way to make it work smoothly and i will find that combination eventually.

I have MK25's and found a way. Although I use a 40lb Mach V wing for singles.

Back
Top Bottom