Single fin swimming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_Dives

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There's a bunch of threads about the training (or lack of) required for the OW card. I also know that many have gone beyond those very basic skills and still others continue to practice their OW skills. I want to pick a skill less likely to be life or death.

My question is have you practiced swimming with a single fin? If so, more than one type of kick?

During my Rescue class, we had to do a diver tow while giving rescue breaths. I had just moved to spring straps on my fins and the particular set of boots I had on that day didn't have the rubber nub on them. About halfway down the pool, I kicked one of my fins off by mistake. I finished my exercise while only having one fin. And, of course, since I kicked the first one off, I was kicking very gingerly with the other so I didn't lose it. It took me forever to finish the length of the pool, but I did it.. Do I practice that one fin thing? Nope. I just bought a new pair of boots with the rubber nub on the heel. :D

i kick with a single fin sometimes out of laziness :D

flutter or scull both seem to work fine - you just don't go very fast (which is usually the reason why i'm only using one fin)

(this is with split fins, btw)

Every once in a while I kick a fin off and find myself a little ways away from where it landed. Simplest way to get around is to put the bare foot and the finned foot in a single pile and kick together. It works well enough.

Last fall I broke my ankle, this kept me out of the water for a while ( 3 days). I did stop teaching my OW and AOW classes, but I continued working with my DM candidates. I figured this would give them an opportunity to work with someone who needed assistance entering and exiting the water. I was able to move thru the water but it was challenging, I could not "hook" my bad foot around my good one as I would do in a lost or broken fin situation.

Much to my DM students dismay I was still able to beat 9 out of 10 of them in the 500 yd swim.:D

trtldvr
Dive A.L.I.V.E.

I broke a fin strap once before a shore dive and did the dive anyway and experimented with the best way (for me) to dive using only one fin. I tried wrapping one foot around the other leg but the best way for me was to frog kick as I usually do even though one leg had no fin on it.

It was tiring and I couldn't go as far or as fast but in a pinch it worked the best for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom