SINGLE most useful thing you have learned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overconfidence is a killer. The "know it all" attitude of some of the divers I have met scares the crap out of me...for their sake.
Get Wet!

Greetings Lyne and SB faithful sorry I have not posted yet on this but what a great thread!
For me it is "SUPERIOR ATTITUDE"!
When I started training in 2007 I was at a point in my life that was emerging from many negative influences. I was caught up in the struggles of life, marriage, kids, career and most if not all the adventure / discovery was gone.
It even sounds depressing doesn't it! Well it gets far better very soon.
There was something very different about the dive instructor and DM that I started to train with.

They must have seen the spark that was down there somewhere!
My pool journey was one to regal that I have shared many times about.
It was a struggle to put it bluntly and before I passed I had an one on one with the Instructor that pretty much I decided to conquer this issue and I was going to do it today!
I put 30 lbs of lead on my belt and asked him to not let me surface while keeping the reg in my mouth. This made him very nervous as it would anyone and I am certain you could have not pinched a dime in his rear. He reluctantly agreed.

When we walked to the bottom of the pool I sat down on the bottom, I knew that I had
air a plenty, trusted the man in front of with my life, and off went the mask!
What came next taught me that some things in life we have to struggle through to regain control of our minds and bodies reactions.
Our brains can be screaming to run or die yet we can override them and gain mastery! That lesson supercharged a stalemated man!

That willingness to push past the comfort and into uncharted waters opened a part of my life that I never knew existed!
What was born out of this was a committed, determination to move forward with positively charged ATTITUDE!
The past days behind me pushing into the uncharted waters ahead!
The adventure is all around us but so many have blinders that they can not see many never embrace this side of life but passively roll by.

I am going where dreams come true, and life is an adventure, and magic happens!
See you on the surface interval! Safe diving all.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Never take a knife to a gun fight.

When I figured out my trim and bouyancy issues, all my dives became spectacular. This in turn helped me have a lot more fun, and be able to slow down and see the little stuff I'd been missing.

Geez, Lynne... after almost 50 years of diving I'm now too old to remember what the most important thing I learned was!

Seriously, it was probably the very first (and only!) thing I was taught before my first descent... don't hold your breath.

Second most important thing I learned was through years of experience... don't panic.

As long as you're breathing you've got time to work it out so stay calm and think.

The single most important thing that I have learned (so far) is that I really won't die if water gets on my face (the good old mask removal skill). Being a dedicated nose breather this concept TERRIFIED me and I "quit" probably 27 times during my pool training. If I had not found the courage and confidence in myself, I never would have gotten my c-card and I would have missed out on all of the wonderful experiences I have had under water (especially the dives with my kids)!

I tend to think it is the answer from Kung-Fu Panda:

The single most important thing to learn is that there is no single most important thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom