Single vs Double Bladder Wings - Pro's and Con's ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No - I am currently diving twins with a DIRZone wing, but have just picked up a brand new Hollis D85 BAC, which is dual bladder, and I am considering the pro's and cons of swopping it with the DIRZone one, and how I would rig it if I did. - Phil.

sorry, I misunderstood when you said "If I do swop the double bladder wing for my DirZone wing I might try rigging DS and backup wing bladder..."

having two wings plugged in and on is asking for confusion should one start auto inflating.

ditch the dual bladder wings. They're baloney.

The autoinflating is certainly an issue. I have seen people use a regulator hose with a shutoff then a QD adapter on them before, but that is the catch 22. You either have the issue with auto inflating confusion if both are plugged in, or you add failure points with two adapters before the wing to prevent it, or you have it disconnected when it may not be feasible to reconnect it especially in cold water with gloves. Simple solution, dive a balanced rig with a single bladder wing :)

+1 for diving a balanced rig and ditching the dual bladder. They tend to cause more problems than they solve. For redundant buoyancy, a 25 lb lift bag stowed in a pocket is a better solution, and has other uses besides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A very timely article was just posted by Andy Davis, this may influence your decision to use a double bladder.....
"How a wreck diver died"
IOLMobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have their uses (I have one) but I'll agree that a balanced rig is ideal. Also an 85lb wing is not something I would want to use.

Can you fit a transom and ~5hp outboard? :)

Tobin

Now there's an idea :wink: - by the way I have read through quite a few of your previous posts about lift requirement - thanks, very useful.

This wing was a bit of an impulse acquisition because it was so cheap - Phil.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2015 at 11:23 PM ----------

Now there's an idea :wink: - by the way I have read through quite a few of your previous posts about lift requirement - thanks, very useful.

This wing was a bit of an impulse acquisition because it was so cheap - Phil.

No problem - I probably could have order it better - P

---------- Post added June 4th, 2015 at 11:24 PM ----------

I'd suggest you harvest the useable hoses, OPV's and fittings and discard the rest.

Tobin

That was always a consideration ! - and may yet be the fate of the wing. P

Worst case is you can always just hold onto the wing itself as a spare or a loaner and swap the inflator for a hard cap or just remove the second bladder entirely

Just accept your loss and move on.

Put it in the Circular File. The world will be a better place.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom