Sipadan vs. Bunaken

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isistius

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I'm planning a trip to SE Asia for next year and I'm considering Sipadan or Bunaken (N. Sulawesi). Can anyone provide their opinion on which site is the best, or at least what they're each best for. My impression is that Bunaken is rated better, but it is more expensive to get to for me. Is it worth it, compared with Sipadan? I'm also considering Layang-Layang; is the diving there good enough compared to Sipidan to warrant a side trip from Kota Kinabalu? Thanks.

cheers
Ben

depends on which month you are comeing to dive. Layang2, go for it if Apr-May (HH season) , but the rest of the year.....zzzzzzzzzzzz...... between Manado & Sipadan, both wall diving are nice. if you love turtles, go to Sipadan. Manado has more variety of wall divings than Sipadan as more deep dive sites are around, I guess. I would say..... if you are going to be there short period, go to Sipadan, if not, go to manado.

Hi, thanks for your response. Should have been more specific--I'll be visiting in August, maybe early September. I won't be there for too long, maybe a couple weeks, so perhaps Sipadan is better (though I'm sick and tired of turtles--seen tons in Hawaii, Australia etc. I like sharks, big pelagics, but also muck diving). Plus, Sipadan gives me the option of better topside attractions, I assume, e.g. orangutans, Mount Kinabalu etc.

Are the dive sites out of KK on the N coast (e.g. Tunku Park) worth visiting while routing through KK?

Sipadan is arguably much easier to get to, ie: by direct flights from Kuala Lumpur. I think for Sulawesi, you may need to change a few aircrafts :)

I'm quite in a hurry to post full links, but you can find some dive reports on T.A.R Marine Park in my website: Islands of Malaysia - malaysia-islands.com (look up for "Sulug West" and "Hanging Garden, Pulau Gaya")

Bon voyage!

I have been to both, and with Manado, several time. The above post are correct, and Manado is not really that more difficult to get to, really!!!! I would say go for Manado/Bunaken the variety of both operators and dive sites and being close to many dives sites wins hands down. But as mentioned above, if your time is short, just go to Sipadan and enjoy yourself, as you well!!!

Depend on your starting point - Manado can be much easier to reach and less traveling time. There's 3 hours direct flight from Singapore to Manado by Silk Air. Fare can be as low as 350 bucks. More variety dive sites, accomodation and less expensive for more dives. If you're photographer or muck lover, don't miss Lembeh - 2 hours from Manado by car. Or even spend few days there. 3 - 4 dives a day with average dive time 60 - 70minutes are common in Manado/Bunaken/Lembeh.
Unless you stay at Sampurna, Sipadan can be very very expensive. You have to fly to KK and probably must stay 1 night for flight to Tawau - certainly will minimize your diving.

from Sing. manado is much easier to access. direct flight by Silk Air.(3hrs+) but Sipadan is not too bad, go to JB Airport (Malaysia) by Taxi from Singpore (S$50) , Air Asia flies driec to Tawau (2hrs+).

Tough call, I haven't been to Sulawasi yet, but I was in Sipadan in early May and it was fantastic. I have worked in the dive industry for 8 years in Thailand and Australia, and Sipadan was the best I've ever seen. I did some research into Layang Layang, and everything I read suggested that Sipadan is better. I think if you don't see the hammerheads in Layang2 then the diving is average.
I would recommend Sipadan Water Bungalows, I stayed there for my honeymoon and it was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom