Siren - Southern Visayas - Anyone done it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In my quest to make as much diving as possible in my three weeks in the Philippines in August, i've considered jumping onto the Siren. They only have one trip with bunks - the Southern Vasaya's trip. Now I understand that many of these sites are possible to visit from shore stays, but in reality how many of these would I get done in a 2-3 week period otherwise? (well that's my thinking anyway).

I've read reviews of some of their other trips, but not this one?

http://pax.worldwidediveandsail.com/pax_si/downloads/pdf/southern_visayas_7_nights_cebu_moalboal.pdf

1. 23 dives in 7 days, why not? Diving is like legal Crack!!! Go for it!
2. What would you do if you want to dive some of the sites again? Leave the group at Moalboal and back track to Dumaguete/Apo on Day 8th or proceed to Cebu and catch a fast ferry to Bohol. You haven't sample the dives on Alona Beach/Anda.
3. There are many permutations including trip to Malapascua and Sogod Bay afterwards.

Yeah it's really tempting. Just I am wondering why that trip is almost empty when every other trip for the year is pretty much full.....

In my quest to make as much diving as possible in my three weeks in the Philippines in August, i've considered jumping onto the Siren. They only have one trip with bunks - the Southern Vasaya's trip. Now I understand that many of these sites are possible to visit from shore stays, but in reality how many of these would I get done in a 2-3 week period otherwise? (well that's my thinking anyway).

I've read reviews of some of their other trips, but not this one?

http://pax.worldwidediveandsail.com/pax_si/downloads/pdf/southern_visayas_7_nights_cebu_moalboal.pdf

August is cyclone season. Google to see the storms that hit northern Philippines last Aug!!! Normally the southern Vasayas are not hit. All of the sites can be easily reached shore based and you will have no prob doing 3 dives per day. Liveaboard will be more convenient but will prob cost a lot more. In 2-3 weeks land based you could do Malapascua, Moalboal, Cabilao or Dauin. Travel around Cebu is cheap & easy.

Hi Ozgriffo

Thanks for deciding to join the Siren Fleet in the Philippines, we think you will have a great time and the diving in the Visayas is really great at that time of year.

Unfortunately as Kevster mentions August is Typhoon season in the Philippines. But not in the Visayas! However many people believe that the weather there is also bad so the misconception sometimes puts divers off. Typically in August we have seen the flat calm seas throughout the whole route. The marine life seen is much the same throughout the whole year - with stunning corals and plenty of macro critters. Apo Island is great for turtles and schools of jacks. Balicasag too - but a couple of the sites around Panglao were hit by the typhoon in November 2012 and were damaged (though during your 7-night trip you won't visit that area)

Cebu is pretty easy to get around but a ferry down to Dumaguete would take up most of the day (5 hours) and there are not so many options for travel to Cabilao so we hope that you find it nice and easy and get some great diving in a variety of locations.

We would of course recommend adding Malapascua to your trip - the journey takes approx 3.5 hours by car then a 45 min banca ride. It would be simple to do before the liveaboard as we believe the trip on Philippine Siren is during your last week in the Philippines.

if you need any assistance with booking add-on just let us know -we'll be pleased to help,

Best wishes for your forthcoming nuptials,
from all at the Siren Fleet

I did the Southern Visayas trip on the Siren last July/August. Very nice boat and outstanding dive operation, highly recommend it!

Unfortunately, our trip was affected by the typhoon (high winds and rough seas for 3 days). Very good diving throughout the area, particularly at Apo Island and Pescador Island. Didn't see as many critters as advertized, but still a good trip. Quite a few frogfish and nudibranchs. Snorkeled with 6 whale sharks at Oslob, too.

I did the Southern Visayas trip on the Siren last July/August. Very nice boat and outstanding dive operation, highly recommend it!

Unfortunately, our trip was affected by the typhoon (high winds and rough seas for 3 days). Very good diving throughout the area, particularly at Apo Island and Pescador Island. Didn't see as many critters as advertized, but still a good trip. Quite a few frogfish and nudibranchs. Snorkeled with 6 whale sharks at Oslob, too.

Hi Harry

Thanks for the recommendation and sorry to learn that high winds affected your trip. We are planning another Reef Check trip in the Philippines in 2014 if you are interested to take part one again.

Best wishes
Siren Fleet team

Thanks for all the information all. We decided to go "stuff it" and book on, will cross fingers and hope the weather is perfect. So much easier than trying to organise land accomodation to do the same number of sites in the same timeframe. And after 6 weeks on the road i know I get sick of constantly packing and unpacking, so a 7 day liveaboard sounds a great way to relax at the end of the trip.

I have kind of booked on - I was about to transfer the money but have just found out some concerning news about the Solomons (where our trip starts) that may affect the timing... fingers crossed. But I will definitely be there if we can resolve the other problems.

if im not mistaken that would probably be the first trip after drydock or the last one before it goes into drydock... these wouldn't be fully booked as agents like to give allowances for drydock dates just in case of unforseen delays... Should be a good trip though... :)

Well it is a great way to dive a whole bunch of locations in the Visaya's. I will put in a good word for the local shops and dive guides as they will have greater intimacy of each site and the current critter locations. Not that you won't see lots of stuff and have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom