SiTech dry glove problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the real solution. It doesn't include licking your o-rings with your tongue, nor slathering them with silicon. Instead go to McMaster Carr and order a package of o-rings that are just a hair smaller in circumference, but the same diameter. So far it has solved everyone's issue with the o-ring rolling. I have given away probably 10 sets so far. Why the manufacturer doesn't use a smaller size in the first place I do not know. They do not leak once the o-ring is replaced with a smaller circumference. I would be willing to split an order with someone, which is what I did last time, but am running out. The order was for 50 of them and cost $13.98 shipped.

Unfortunately I do not know the size but I sent an email to ask what size.

McMaster-Carr

Still using my Viking rings but my wrist seals are failing and when I do replace them I have a set of permanent SI Tech rings to install.

Thanks Peter for confirming my next idea will work. If you get the size from your previous order please share. That was going to be my next attempt at a good fix.
I tried silicone but no matter how light it was applied I had problems with my gloves popping of upon surfacing. That's partly my fault though because I wasn't using the straws to equalize the pressure between the suit and gloves.
So my last attempt was to clean all the silicone from the glove rings and o-rings with mek. Then I applied rubber cement into the o-ring groove and installed the o-ring. This has had good initial results but the rubber cement looses it's hold after a while and the o-ring rolls out.

Peter, I would split an order of them with you!

TS&M I dove with a fella at Decption Pass from canada and he just used rubber gloves and they stretched over ring on cuff no innerlocking it was awesome set up. From what I seen they was no way it could leek. funny how the simplest system is usually the best. The other benefit is you can use different size under gloves.

Here is a pic underwater of him under the deception pass bridge

http://JanKocian.smugmug.com
82311-Misa-Pass-2S-L.jpg

Last edited:
I had someone PM an interest in splitting an order. If I can find the right part number it might be prudent to just order up 100 o-rings then divide them up and ship them out in an envelope. The shipping cost from McMaster Carr is half the price. Dropping 20 o-rings in the mail should be less than a dollar. From this thread there must be plenty of people who "need" them.

VooDooGasMan, um ya I want to dive there (show off). Peter_C Your plan sounds good to me.

Aqua I am actually showing off a diver here on the Islands work hit his link and you will see and learn a tremendous amount of our diving and sealife. You are welcome to come dive on our island anytime.

Count me in! I'd be happy to split an order, or just get the correct size information. I just put mine on for the first time, didn't seem to have an issue with the o ring. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have gone out diving without even know ing about this. Thanks!

I would definitely take a bunch of them -- just let me know what I owe you.

For anybody who likes the picture VDGM posted, check out THIS thread on our local forum. Jan Kocian is one of the most talented photographer/artists around.

VDGM, thanks for the tip about the stretch-on gloves. In fact, when I first started working with Mike at Dive Right In Scuba on this issue, that was what he suggested. I got a pair of rubber gloves, but the problem was that the part of the cuff that is wide enough to stretch over the rings is too far from the fingers, so I could not get the gloves to ride up short enough so that my hands would stay in them. (When I use Atlas gloves with the Vikings, I cut off about four inches of cuff in order to do this, and they will barely stretch over the rings at that point.)

Back
Top Bottom