SiTech dry glove problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What color ring were you using? We have a bunch of spares.

Color ring? I thought they were all black. Mine is black. It's the ring that attaches to the glove that's broken. Do they come in different sizes? I don't remember if my rings have a specific size and I did not see anything about sizes on the OS System's website.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 12:17 PM ----------

P/M sent.

Thank you very much!

Color ring? I thought they were all black. Mine is black. It's the ring that attaches to the glove that's broken. Do they come in different sizes? I don't remember if my rings have a specific size and I did not see anything about sizes on the OS System's website.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 12:17 PM ----------

Thank you very much!

Now I understand you are talking about a different ring.

I got the new Orings in. PM me if interested.

I hate to resurrect a thread that seems to have died, and to compound the wrong, i am going to hijack it...

There was some discussion on trying the QCP locking cuff rings from SI Tech. Has anyone done so and what are their thoughts on the system? I am thinking of installing that system on my Whites Fusion Bullet suit.

I would also like to weigh in on the pull over method of dry gloves. I currently use that approach to dry diving and the only problems I have had are when I scrape the edge over something, rocks or wreck hull, and put a punch of pin holes in the glove where it is stretched over the ring. Usually this only happens when I am doing wreck penetrations or diving sites without a designated shore entry. I typically get 20 to 25 dives on a glove before it needs to be replaced. The pull over gloves can be donned by your self, but it take some practice to be able to do so.

I am curious as to why people have their gloves balloon up and why they need the equalization tubes. I have been diving dry gloves for 3 years now and while my gloves shrink wrap my hands at depth, I have never had a glove balloon up on ascent. It would seem to me that if you have air traveling to your gloves, without equalization tubes, then your seal is not fitting properly. My thimble full of knowledge tells me that if you have air traveling from your suit to your glove, then it stands to reason that if you weren't wearing gloves you would have air traveling from your suit to the water column. Isn't that a leak?

Sorry for the resurrection and hijack.

I am curious as to why people have their gloves balloon up and why they need the equalization tubes. I have been diving dry gloves for 3 years now and while my gloves shrink wrap my hands at depth, I have never had a glove balloon up on ascent. It would seem to me that if you have air traveling to your gloves, without equalization tubes, then your seal is not fitting properly.

Ever burp a neck seal? Same thing happens into the gloves. Of course it has no way to get back past the seal so the gloves balloon up. Equalization tubes/material can be removed, so they are simply the best option for me. If my fingers get cold, and they do, I can just raise my hand up and add some nice warm air to them...ahhhhhh.

There are two versions of the locking Sitech glove systems. One is designed to be used in conjunction with an existing conventional wrist seal and the other must be attached to the Sitech permanent cuff system.

When my wife switched to a fusion sport, I looked at the existing cuffs to see how easy it would be to install. It appears to somewhat more difficult than a conventional drysuit. We ended up temporarily using the QCP permanent system on the existing latex seals. I wasn't sure if that was possible, but the installation appears to be stable enough to at least work until we have time to install permanent cuffs.

What that means is that you can have dry gloves using the QCP system without modifying the seals. If the seals do tear at some point then you can then install the permanent cuffs and the QCP system in the normal manner instead of putting on new latex seals directly. At that point you will also have the advantage of the quick wrist seal changes as well.

Andy put a post together showcasing a Fusion conversion to Si-Tech permanent wrist ring system, that might help you.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...ech-cuff-ring-modification-step-pictures.html

After almost a year the repair is still going strong. I still can't figure out why Whites would install the rings in the fashion they do and make a suit that is not known for ease of donning even harder to put on. Honestly, if you managed to get a passing grade in arts and crafts in grade school you can do this modification. I think the only reason the repair would be harder than a standard drysuit is the addition of the Velcro on the outside of the cuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom