SiTech dry glove problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought I'd update this. My gloves have recently started to seep badly. First one, now both. I just ordered 50 of those McMaster O rings, so we'll see.

As a result of putting the quick-change wrist seal system on my suit, I had to give up my beloved Viking bayonet rings, and go to the SiTech system (not the Roll-lock, the one that slides into the outer ring). I had a horrible problem getting them on and off, which has gotten better (but not good) since someone gave me the advice to lick the darned things before donning. But I've got another problem that's baffling me: When I put the glove side into the suit side ring, the o-ring is coming up out of the groove and getting pinched. Sometimes it's bad enough that I can see it happen and fix it, but other times, it's not visible, and I end up with a wet hand.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you have a fix for it? (Any advice on getting the blasted things on and off without requiring help from your buddy would be gratefully accepted, too.)

I am still sick of them, & still need buddy to help with getting them on. I do see the O-ring pinching. What an expensive waste of money, but they sure do keep my hands warm. The size small Atlas glove made a difference though!

---------- Post Merged at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:22 PM ----------

Thought I'd update this. My gloves have recently started to seep badly. First one, now both. I just ordered 50 of those McMaster O rings, so we'll see.

Jeff, if those are the smaller sized O-rings can I purchase 4 from you?

Yes, the ones listed earlier in this thread (9452k174) O rings. Once they get here, I'll post.

I use some silcone o ring lube for them, makes getting on much easier.(Trident stuff).

Dont forget afterwards to unscrew the rings 3/4 turn, and reseat the rings. that step is pretty critical.

Update: I've had to use my backup suit for several weeks now (the one with the SiTech rings). Using the smaller o-rings, and carefully licking the glove rings before installing them (all the while wondering what kind of ghastly gastroenteritis I'm going to end up with from doing it) has resulted in no pinched o-rings and no leaks. I still find the gloves more difficult to get off than the Vikings, particularly if one is not utterly meticulous about keeping them free of all particulate debris, but I don't hate them as much as I did at the beginning.

My leaking problems with the QCP locking gloves turned out not to be an oring problem. I am now back to using the regular metric orings as originally supplied.

The inconsistent leaking was actually due to one pin sized hole in each glove. No idea how they got there or why they did not consistently leak. Haven't had any problems since replacing them with another pair. The QCPs and the kevlar lined version of the Atlas glove combination is great.

Also, just saw the oval Antares at DEMA. Theses don't twist lock like the QCPs since they are oval. However, they use a sort of one way catching system like on baby proof cabinet doors. Unless you need the oval advantages, I think the QCPs are still the better way to go. Between the quick glove and the antares, I would go for the Antares since it at least has some way of mechanically securing the glove.

Update: I've had to use my backup suit for several weeks now (the one with the SiTech rings). Using the smaller o-rings, and carefully licking the glove rings before installing them (all the while wondering what kind of ghastly gastroenteritis I'm going to end up with from doing it) has resulted in no pinched o-rings and no leaks. I still find the gloves more difficult to get off than the Vikings, particularly if one is not utterly meticulous about keeping them free of all particulate debris, but I don't hate them as much as I did at the beginning.

Amen to that! I am so meticulous after the dive so I don't get a speck of dust....grr....gad I love diving!! I hope I don't get gastroenteritis either, but the silicone did hold up well.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2012 at 08:13 PM ----------

Yes, the ones listed earlier in this thread (9452k174) O rings. Once they get here, I'll post.

I use some silcone o ring lube for them, makes getting on much easier.(Trident stuff).

Dont forget afterwards to unscrew the rings 3/4 turn, and reseat the rings. that step is pretty critical.

Jeff, will will you p/m me and I will send you some money and share the cost?? Thx, Deb!!

will do. With new Si tech O rings and new gloves, a nice 1:10m dive, came back with bone dry hands (YEA!). So I now have a second set of gloves and rings for a backup.

The Orings do get worn out, as I found the new ones took alot more pressure to get on, even with silicon lube.

The Orings do get worn out, as I found the new ones took alot more pressure to get on, even with silicon lube.

Jeff, I can't get the gloves on without my buddies help now albeit with the larger O-rings!! Why do the smaller ones require more pressure?

Because my o rings were worn out.

What kind and size of dry gloves do you use? I am having a hard time to find gloves that fit my small hands. I have just bought a pair of ATLAS Vinylove Large. They are not lined (that kind is far too big for me). I can fit one pair of liner gloves only though.

One of the rings broke off right in the middle the other day. Is it worth it to glue it together?

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom