SiTech dry glove problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same press on system on my Bare Trilaminate. The gloves keep popping off. I didn't even bother trying to descend with them on. The whole design seems ill conceived. For example the threaded part is to remove the gloves, not to keep them on. No need to get them off if I can't get them to stay on in the first place.

From the videos, it seems like the permanently counted cuff rings can be used with the "glove lock" system.

My question is do the glove lock systems work reliably?

I don't know how they work. I tried them when I got the quick-change rings, and they were so enormous I couldn't imagine trying to dive with them.

To update this thread, the tip John Kendall gave me has pretty much solved the o-ring pinching issues. Now I have pop-offs (probably from having heavily lubed the o-ring and rings to avoid the crimping). I HAVE noticed that you need to be quite careful to be sure the removal rings are spun all the way out before you mate the glove and suit -- it really requires that much "bite" to keep the glove rings on.

I'm still not fond of the system, but I'm no longer considering going postal on the SiTech main office.

I have the same press on system on my Bare Trilaminate. The gloves keep popping off. I didn't even bother trying to descend with them on. The whole design seems ill conceived. For example the threaded part is to remove the gloves, not to keep them on. No need to get them off if I can't get them to stay on in the first place.

From the videos, it seems like the permanently counted cuff rings can be used with the "glove lock" system.

My question is do the glove lock systems work reliably?

Yes, the Glove Lock or Glove Lock QCP, as Si Tech now calls them, works beautifully. I've had them on my previous Evolution II drysuit and installed them on my Whites Fusion drysuit. As TSandM stated, the rings are quite large but I have managed just fine with them. They are easy to don and even easier to doff. To date, I only had one malfunction as I managed to pinch my inner glove liner in the cuff. This allowed water to enter the glove. Removed/re-installed and continued the dive without any issue. Getting pretty close to about 45-50 dives in a drysuit with them.

They are ridiculously easy to install if you have a Fusion with the SLT cuffs. They are more expensive than Si Tech's Quick Glove system but are far easier to use. Honestly, they should have switched the names between the two products as the Glove Lock QCP is by far the easier to use. Here's a picture of them that should give you an idea of their size (I'm 5'5 130lb to give you perspective). Don't mind the fool in the picture.

IMG_0406a.jpg

I don't know how they work. I tried them when I got the quick-change rings, and they were so enormous I couldn't imagine trying to dive with them.

To update this thread, the tip John Kendall gave me has pretty much solved the o-ring pinching issues. Now I have pop-offs (probably from having heavily lubed the o-ring and rings to avoid the crimping). I HAVE noticed that you need to be quite careful to be sure the removal rings are spun all the way out before you mate the glove and suit -- it really requires that much "bite" to keep the glove rings on.

I'm still not fond of the system, but I'm no longer considering going postal on the SiTech main office.

Yeah, the o-rings want to be pretty dry. I use a little bit of zip wax on the rings, and just plain spit when I put them on. Never had an issue with them popping off.
HTH
John

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

If popping off isn't an issue, I'd like some insight as to why SI TECH bothered developing and is continuing to market the glove lock system. They have it listed first on their website above the quick glove system. I'd also like to know why SI TECH won't replace the orings with a smaller diameter since the groove popping issue also seems to be prevalent. You should't have to carry around a piece of PVC pipe to put your gloves on successfully. Between the o ring displacement problem and the popping off, I hope the locking version is better.

From reading the reviews on diverightinscuba's website, a lot of people seem to like the locking version. I've ordered them and will post my impressions for reference purposes.

I have never had an issue with the gloves popping off, in fact I had not heard of such an issue before this thread and, from what I read here, it is only people using the smaller o-rings that are having the issue. Put on straight the gloves work fine, the problem is getting them on straight without assistance or sometimes even with assistance

You shouldn't have to carry around a piece of PVC pipe to put your gloves on successfully.
What do you use the PVC pipe for? I can change everything by hand except the wrist seals, which I need a screwdriver for. I can swap the gloves, install the cuff part, without tools using nothing but my bare hands.

I have never had an issue with the gloves popping off, in fact I had not heard of such an issue before this thread and, from what I read here, it is only people using the smaller o-rings that are having the issue. Put on straight the gloves work fine, the problem is getting them on straight without assistance or sometimes even with assistance
Where did you hear the problem of popping off was related to the smaller circumference o-rings? Me thinks you are making stuff up. Few use the smaller o-rings and all of my friends with them have never had that issue.

The problem with the gloves popping off is caused by lubing them. Very simple fix...DON'T lube them. If you did lube them use Acetone to clean them up!

Where did you hear the problem of popping off was related to the smaller circumference o-rings? Me thinks you are making stuff up. Few use the smaller o-rings and all of my friends with them have never had that issue.

The problem with the gloves popping off is caused by lubing them. Very simple fix...DON'T lube them. If you did lube them use Acetone to clean them up!

From reading the thread I thought that TSandM had changed out her rings and was now having a problem with gloves popping off. I have never had them pop off and I do use a small amount of lube on the rings. I have a number of dive buddies who also use the system and have not had pop offs but have had leaks. My son has another make and they pop off on ascent on a regular basis. I have had instances where I had a tough time removing mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom