SiTech dry glove problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had instances where I had a tough time removing mine.

Compare Fdogs pictures above to your glove system. Are they the same? The Si Tech is probably one of the easiest glove systems to remove since it has the threads to push it off.

I have the SI tech on my Whites Fusion.

In the beginning, I had problems with leaking.

Now, I use a technical jelly (very light) on the O Ring, carefully and evenly press the glove on, and after that, screw the glove back out almost a full turn (usually like 3/4 turn) and then press back on again. Since then I haven't had a single leak.

So now that I have now the si-tech quick clamps/gloves, the si-tech glove lock, and the si-tech glove lock QCP system, a comparison is in order.

There is a lot of confusion regarding these particularily in some of the manufacturer's catalogs.

The si-tech glove lock system can only be installed on permanently fixed latex seals. It will not work on the si-tech permanent cuffs. The si-tech permanent cuffs are the ones where you can replace the wrist seals in the field. The reason for this is that the glove lock system is lacking an additional set of black rings that are necessary to be used with the permanent cuffs. This part is available separately if you already have the glove lock system. If you happen to have the quick cuff system, this can be removed from the dry suit and the glove and be replace entirely with the components from the glove lock system.

The si-tech glove lock QCP system differs from the glove lock system in that it includes the missing black rings for the suit cuffs. This means that the QCP system can be used with both permanently attached latex seals and with the permanently attached cuffs. The original ring that is used with the permanent cuffs is replaced with the new black rings provided with the QCP system.

The glove lock and glove lock QCP systems are completely superior to the quick glove and quick cuff system. When locked, the glove is completely and entirely secured to the dry suit. Nor more gloves popping off while donning equipment or on ascent. You also do not need to worry about the oring jumping out nor having to perfectly align the quick glove and the quick cuff with a piece of PVC pipe. You also don't have to contend with the slippery ring to push off the glove, you just unlock and pull. With the glove lock and glove lock QCP systems, you could even leave your gloves more or less permanently on between maintenance sessions.

The only down side to the glove lock and glove lock QCP systems that I can see is that it is somewhat more expensive and the rings are slightly larger in diameter than the quick gloves and quick cuffs.

Though other people including those on this board might be happy with their quick cuffs and rings, I could never recommend them to anyone. If you're going to buy a locking set, you will probably want to ask for the glove lock QCP rather than the glove lock as the additional components make it more flexible for use. Despite all this, if anyone still wants some quick cuff and quick glove rings, PM me, they'll be cheap.

I don't know how they work. I tried them when I got the quick-change rings, and they were so enormous I couldn't imagine trying to dive with them.

To update this thread, the tip John Kendall gave me has pretty much solved the o-ring pinching issues. Now I have pop-offs (probably from having heavily lubed the o-ring and rings to avoid the crimping). I HAVE noticed that you need to be quite careful to be sure the removal rings are spun all the way out before you mate the glove and suit -- it really requires that much "bite" to keep the glove rings on.

I'm still not fond of the system, but I'm no longer considering going postal on the SiTech main office.

The SI system is my first drysuit glove purchase, after 3 years I finally was
convinced, that and 35 degree water. They came highly recommended, from strong men.......I am only on dive 2 with them, and despite reading this thread so far, I am considering going postal. Intelligence as far advanced as we are, leads me to believe
that SI is not in this category. I don't have the strength to put them on alone, and my dive buddy didn't either. I thought I would be driving 320 miles back home with
my arms still in the sleeves. There are opportunities here on this thread for changing the system to make it easier to don and doff, but I am a more visual and manual learner, or very very stupid. The SI system is on, I am at a disadvantage because I cannot afford to take it off and pay for another system, so frrrustrating.

John, I have read the entire thread, zip wax, spit, silicon, smaller O rings..... I haven't tried the zip wax yet. I am hoping to dive this weekend, but if I cannot, I will be out of the water until June when the doctor gets done hacking on my shoulder with the saw and scalpel. I really wanted one dive ....just one..before my surgery and recovery to change my opinion on these gloves. Thanks for weighing in on this subject! I will try the wax!!

Update on Sitech QCP System after 30 dives:

After the first 20 or so dives involving both instructional and commercial type diving, the QCP system began leaking unpredictably. Sometimes it was the left glove, sometimes the right glove, sometimes both. Definitely not a glove issue. After examining the o-rings carefully, it is apparent that the exposed rubber part is extremely small. It appeared possible that wear combined with flexing may have been allowing the gloves to intermittently leak to a small degree through the oring.

The orings are 2.5 mm in cross-section. I have replaced the original with a slightly thicker 3 mm x 100 inner diameter o-ring. The new oring fits nicely in the ring groove and the glove still fits on the cuff. There is slightly more resistance which is attributable to the tighter fit. The bucket test indicates that there are no leaks. So the replacements appear promising at this time.

I have also been using the Showa 660 kevlar lined gloves. Simply fantastic. Protected my fingers despite broken strands and sharp metal edges. I ordered my from esafetysupplies. The gloves were shipped out the next day in contrast to seattle marine which took an entire week to ship out some non-kelvar Showas.

A pool test will be conducted in a couple of days with the open water test this weekend, I will post those results as well.

Wow, after reading all this I think I need to revisit my decision to go for these gloves. I currently have the diving concepts system on my DUI and my complaint is that the left glove takes two people with power tools to remove :wink:
However I have NEVER had a leak or pop-off in over 100 dives. A mere 5% leakage is way more than I would accept. I think I'll go back to trying to figure out my DC problem and save a few hundred on the new tech fusion.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

The QCP gloves are relatively easy to put on and off.

In comparison to my glove lock QCPs, my wifes plain glove locks have not had any leaks. The interesting thing is that her set has always had more seating resistance when donning which could also account for her not having any leaks. Her non-QCP glove locks were purchased from Bare, while mine were direct from the North American distributor.

Since both originally used the same oring size, I would have to conclude that either different manufacturing batches have different dimensions, somewhere along the road they changed the specs, or the QCP and non-QCP glove lock components have different specs to start with.

I have constenently had issues with the left glove leaking. I replaced with the tighter o'ring but the problem chased the ring. It looks like the inside of the spin ring has a few gashes. It very much looks like a manufacturing issue, like the points the the rings were removed from the mold. The left seems slightly worse. I'm going to see if si tech can review this and help out.
Camera+ photo

Back
Top Bottom