SiTech rings + Kubi style dry gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webcubus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm on the cusp of purchasing a used drysuit and I'd like to have a system where I can quickly replace seals in the field. There's a good chance I'll take my drysuit on a liveaboard at some point, so sending it out to have seals replaced in that scenario won't really be a viable option.

That said, I've read a lot about dry gloves and the Kubi system seems to have pretty solid feedback. It seems like the combination is technically possible (there should be plenty of latex seal left to attach to), but I'm wondering if it's a stupid idea. My LDS has a nice sale on a Kubi competitor, so I'm trying to sort this out in the next week.

Thanks in advance for you advice!

The SiTech dry gloves work fine, but are a real pain to attach predive. Wax helps, silicon grease works too well - a buddy had his gloves pop off under water trying that. As long as you are careful in installing the seals their rings work fine, but you can get really confusing to find leaks if you get folds in the seals inside the rings or do something clever like using a rubber band on the inside of the insert to secure the seal for installation (Don't ask me how I know that one...). Don't know know the Kubi system, I got talked into using Viking for my on-order drysuit.

Sounds like there would be a lot of bulk around your wrist with two different systems attached. I do like the siTech system and have had very few problems with them. The trick to the system is when you receive the parts you need to take the sealing o-rings off the glove rings and cut them with a knife or scissors then dispose of them in an environmentally responsible manner. Next you will want to order some size -153 o-rings from McMaster Carr as replacements. This one fix will solve 99% of issues with the system.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Went to my LDS today and they recommended not getting rings if I'm going to use this glove system (as I suspected). They also eased my nerves a bit about seal rips - the owner dives a lot and said he's only had a couple rip on him ever.

Back
Top Bottom