SiTech Seal Upgrades worth the price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are the SiTech seals worth the price vs regular seals? I think it's about a $250 upgrade.

Sounds to me like the benefits are easier replacement, and slightly more comfortable. Anything else?

It would be on a new Bare HD Tech "Cave" suit; if that is relevant to the question. Kind of a drop in the bucket on a $3k suit, but I don't want to spend money on them if they're not a big deal.

I've been told that I should not get the factory p-valve, and instead should take the new suit to Steve Gamble for a p-valve. Any comments or concerns about that?

I don't know about more comfortable but the Si-Tech seals are quick to change and you can use seals from about anybody. This give you the option to try different sizes, different shapes, different thicknesses or different materials. Plus if the seal is too tight you can trim it without fear so long as you have a spare sitting there. And spare latex seals are cheap!

If you are ordering the suit new, the only time that you are assured of having it installed is at the factory when you first order it. They actually told me that I could do it later. When my neck seal tore and it tried to have Bare install the necktite, they told me that they could not. If you order it at the time of the build, Bare specifically cuts and sews it so that the necktite system can be installed. If you do not order it and expect to install it later, you may not be able to as the cut will be different. This actually happened to me on my Bare trilam tech. I tried to install one myself and sure enough there was not enough clearance between the necktite and the zipper.

The necktite is not more comfortable. In fact, the ring can be very uncomfortable if it is in the wrong position under you BCD shoulder straps when you are out of the water. However, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

I put the si-tech neck and wrist rings on before my original seals went bad. I have seen more than a few people rip a seal on a boat and with a ring system you could replace it on the boat, if you have a spare. Otherwise you are out for the day depending on how bad it is. It is a little different putting your head through the neck seal because of the ring, but not bad. You also have to get used to the big rings on the wrist seals, but again not that bad.

I ended up with a factory P-Valve on my suit and have been happy. I have heard good things about Steve Gamble doing dry suit work. I am not sure why a factory valve would be bad, so you will have to ask the people saying that. Either way GET A P-VALVE. The only thing worse than having to hold it in is not holding it in :D. Using it the first few times might be interesting, but after that it is really nice to have.

There are two different SiTech "quick-replace" wrist setups. The round one is a hard round ring and can be a bit of a pain, but the upside is that you can hook smurf gloves to it easily. The oval one is softer and more compact (more comfortable.) The SiTech neck ring is awesome, I've actually changed out a neck seal while suited up in my drysuit (back entry) when a seal tore while donning the suit.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Sounds like the si-tech will be worth the price.

I am not sure why a factory valve would be bad, so you will have to ask the people saying that.

The answer I got was "because it is much smaller than the factory valve."

I had them installed on my dui clx450 by dive right in scuba, and they did a beautiful job, I don't notice the plastic in the ring on neck, like some people mention, and I've already saved a dive when I blew a seal right before entering water. In five minutes I had a new one zipped in! I do need to trim two rings off the silicone neck seal, or they are really tight, something I did not experience with latex.....all in all well worth the money

I have the Oval system on my wrists. Even these are not always possible to fit afterwards. The sleeves need a certain diameter. You should try to make up your mind before ordering the suit and not think that you can install it later. (Don't know if there's a way to ask for a different cut that enables you to install them later... but that may become weird around the neck...)
I find them very comfortable and not that bulky. Now even for the oval rings you can get dry gloves.
One minor point, the system comes with standard size seals and I think I need small...

Back
Top Bottom