Skills Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now that I have "gotten my feet wet" and really begun to do some diving, before the season ends, I would like to know if anyone would be interested in doing some practice sessions for skills improvement. Kind of a really planned out - deliberate set of dives specific for improving. As we all seem to be creating a club and will probably dive together, I also think it would be good to see the real skill levels of those diving with us. Anyone interested or am I being too anal....

Mask clearing?

Buddy breathing?

Emergency acents?

I don't know, what should we really focus on? Remember, many of you are more advanced...

I never liked that form of torture although some use that as an accepted training practice -

Skills I'd like to learn/work on/develop:
  • horizontal ascent/descent
  • frog kicking and helicopter kicking
  • bag deployment
  • reel use
  • lobster measuring
  • fish identification

I was thinking digital video might be helpful for some skill building... it's hard to critique your own frog kicks if you can't see them for example.

Do any shops rent video cameras? How do we address fish ID, shall I hit the library?

Basic skills, sure, but I'd like to work on them in the context of planned task loading. For example, I can clear a mask okay, but if it floods while I'm banding a lobster or trying to hover, it's hard for me to do both.

shellbird once bubbled...
Mask clearing?

Buddy breathing?

Emergency acents?

I don't know, what should we really focus on? Remember, many of you are more advanced...

MSilvia once bubbled...

I was thinking digital video might be helpful for some skill building... it's hard to critique your own frog kicks if you can't see them for example.

Are you kidding? This is New England, we are all a bunch of critics! A but sarcastic too! Our New England blood... funny how some people from other parts of the country don't always get our sense of humor...

My camera (and Spectre's) can both do short video clips digitally. I have a fish identification guide, and want to make a point of adding it to the Scubaru's mobile dive library.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom