Slap Straps and the XVision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I just noticed they make a slap strap that has a nylon strap instead of the velcro. It's the third one down, called Buckel Strap.
http://www.innovativescuba.com/Product_MaskStrap1.htm#SlapStrap

I've never seen anyone using it, though. Is there a reason why? The only one I can think of is availability. I've been searching all over, but can't find anyone selling it.

I'd think this would be a better strap than the one most people use. Wouldn't the nylon be much stronger than the velcro, and also have less of a chance of slipping.

Also I have an XVision, which has a thiner strap than most masks. Those of you with the XVision, did you just cram the ends of your slap strap into the slots, or did you trim it to the correct width? Or did you actually find someone who make a narrower slap stap.

grunzster:
I just noticed they make a slap strap that has a nylon strap instead of the velcro. It's the third one down, called Buckel Strap.
http://www.innovativescuba.com/Product_MaskStrap1.htm#SlapStrap

I've never seen anyone using it, though. Is there a reason why? The only one I can think of is availability. I've been searching all over, but can't find anyone selling it.

I'd think this would be a better strap than the one most people use. Wouldn't the nylon be much stronger than the velcro, and also have less of a chance of slipping.

Also I have an XVision, which has a thiner strap than most masks. Those of you with the XVision, did you just cram the ends of your slap strap into the slots, or did you trim it to the correct width? Or did you actually find someone who make a narrower slap stap.

We sell that version, and much prefer it over the velcro. It is more secure, and much easier to adjust even under water. You're right that the X-Vision has a slightly narrower opening than most... but the strap works fine - even on that mask.

As with all mask straps worn by a single user, virtually all adjustments are done within the first few dives with it. After that it's left alone. Exceptions might occur if you share your mask with other folks, or if you "switch-hit" with a hood intermittently.
I haven't adjusted my slap strap since 1999 on one mask (now my backup), and on my newer one after my second dive on it. I expect most divers will report something similar.
Regarding strength, the velcro straps are pretty dang tough. Mine have lasted for years, even sitting outside in the sun. I only swapped one out that was getting bleached from being in the pool too much.
Slap Straps shouldn't slip either, unless you keep fiddling with it and the velcro wears out. But you're not supposed to fiddle with it, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I expect the buckle design would be better for rental gear, although most rental masks I've seen just use the standard silicon straps. Other than that I see no advantage at all.

I have to agree that most masks are adjusted the first few dives. But if you have the need, I do, Oceanmaster makes a really nice band. http://www.oceanmaster.com/MasksFeatures.htm The Q-strap is really comfortable and can be adjusted either way, with gloves on, underwater. It looks a bit bulky but actually it isn't. If I have to get another mask I will buy the Q-strap and put on it, if possible.

Had a friend that borrowed my mask one time and loved the strap. When he was done with it I simplydoned it, squeezed the pieces in the back and it was back to my size. The best part, no velcro. :sappy:

crpntr133:
The Q-strap is really comfortable and can be adjusted either way, with gloves on, underwater. It looks a bit bulky but actually it isn't. If I have to get another mask I will buy the Q-strap and put on it, if possible.

With straps like that (where you're not replacing the original silicon one, but merely attaching a soft pad and maybe an adjuster to it), I have doubts about longevity. I'm afraid the thing will simply snap one day, just like a standard fin strap (I finally got spring straps, by the way). I've had silicon wear out on me before, and it's irritating.

so you have a back up pair in your save a dive kit.

I think the whole point is that you won't ever need the backup strap if you swap out silicon entirely. My "save a dive" kit is big enough as is, but I can now leave my spare fin straps at home after switching to spring straps! I'm hoping indestructible o-rings and mouthpieces will come out next, so I can leave them at home too!

I do still have my original mask straps. One of them is four years new. Even unused they discolor over time and get icky. Maybe I should throw it out and replace it with a backup slap strap!

I have had the buckle straps pop open on me.
Slap straps are not all cut to the same length. I went through three of them before i found one that wasn't too short.( I made the shop take it out of the package and let me try it for size before buying it)
FifthD was selling a "comfort strap"? that I use on my x-vision.

archman:
I think the whole point is that you won't ever need the backup strap if you swap out silicon entirely. My "save a dive" kit is big enough as is, but I can now leave my spare fin straps at home after switching to spring straps! I'm hoping indestructible o-rings and mouthpieces will come out next, so I can leave them at home too!

I do still have my original mask straps. One of them is four years new. Even unused they discolor over time and get icky. Maybe I should throw it out and replace it with a backup slap strap!

Misunderstanding!!!! I was thinking, sorry I won't do it again, that it was more for the ease in adjustment. Put a spring strap on it and then you don't have to worry anymore. :jestera:

spring straps and no hood. i can see it now - all those weekend divers showing up for work with their mask still stuck to the back of their head. :54:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom