Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I ever make it to Indonesia, I'll want a live-aboard to maximize diving (and it better have A.C.!) I'm posting to share a mainstream American perspective on A.C., since it may seem a bit odd to people from different parts of the world.

1.) Over 2/3rds of U.S. adults are either overweight or obese. Fat people tend to overheat more easily, and prefer cooler temperatures.

2.) In parts of the southern U.S., winters lows get well below freezing, and summer highs well into the mid to upper 90's and sometimes over 100 degrees F (in large areas coupled with miserable humidity). Sometimes our summer 'heat waves' kill people. Internal climate control is a survival necessity in winter, and the difference between contentment and intense misery at times in summers.

3.) Many people in the U.S spend a great deal of time at work and/or home indoors.

4.) Because we have indoor climate control at home and work nearly all the time, we're accustomed to it. Many of us are also accustomed to daily showers/baths, anti-perspirant/deodorant and jobs where we don't do much physical toil, so many aren't used to being sweaty.

For me, A.C. is a must. I like it colder than some people, and I don't know how many U.S. people are in your customer base, but a lack of A.C. is a 'Go Somewhere Else' sign for many of us. If only the bedroom (small at that) were air conditioned, you'd need to do 2 things - give me cheap prices, and take me out on the boat much of the day for 3 or 4 dives/day.

I like the idea about having smaller sleeping rooms that have A/C. I am very acclimated to using A/C now but I used to live without it in Texas at times when I was growing up. Shade and a little breeze goes a long way. I have a much cheaper solution though, just dart your guest each night with a tranquilizer.

If I ever make it to Indonesia, I'll want a live-aboard to maximize diving (and it better have A.C.!) I'm posting to share a mainstream American perspective on A.C., since it may seem a bit odd to people from different parts of the world.

1.) Over 2/3rds of U.S. adults are either overweight or obese. Fat people tend to overheat more easily, and prefer cooler temperatures.

2.) In parts of the southern U.S., winters lows get well below freezing, and summer highs well into the mid to upper 90's and sometimes over 100 degrees F (in large areas coupled with miserable humidity). Sometimes our summer 'heat waves' kill people. Internal climate control is a survival necessity in winter, and the difference between contentment and intense misery at times in summers.

3.) Many people in the U.S spend a great deal of time at work and/or home indoors.

4.) Because we have indoor climate control at home and work nearly all the time, we're accustomed to it. Many of us are also accustomed to daily showers/baths, anti-perspirant/deodorant and jobs where we don't do much physical toil, so many aren't used to being sweaty.

For me, A.C. is a must. I like it colder than some people, and I don't know how many U.S. people are in your customer base, but a lack of A.C. is a 'Go Somewhere Else' sign for many of us. If only the bedroom (small at that) were air conditioned, you'd need to do 2 things - give me cheap prices, and take me out on the boat much of the day for 3 or 4 dives/day.
Thanks for this thorough explanation. I different world to me. When I visited Singapore I felt the air conditioning in the shops would kill us. A woolen cap and thick fleece helped me survive. My condition, cold urticaria, makes it harder for me. I wonder what cheap prices are? Lower than the costs? Lower than the competition? Anyway, the diving is what we do.

I travel with Icebreaker merino tees. I don't wash it for a whole month and no one can sniff that info out. :) It is amazing how it doesn't smell - confirmed by my travel mates, even while sweating in the deserts or jungles! Should you need to wash them, they are easy to hand wash and dry so quickly. Smartwool makes some as well but I don't find them as good. Unfortunately, they are a bit expensive so I try to get them on sale. Like you, I love how they regulate temperature very well and are more breathable than synthetics, not to mention better for the environment, especially with each wash.
There used to be dive suits made out of Marino wool. Great, no boyancy, no restriction of blood circulation. What happened to them?

I like the idea about having smaller sleeping rooms that have A/C. I am very acclimated to using A/C now but I used to live without it in Texas at times when I was growing up. Shade and a little breeze goes a long way. I have a much cheaper solution though, just dart your guest each night with a tranquilizer.

:rofl3:

Lower than the competition?

Lower than the competition. We understand charging less than the cost of doing business doesn't work long-term. It'd be interesting to know more about the demographic of customer who stays with you.

To get from the United States to Indonesia for a dive trip (and back) is a long, I suspect arduous (compared to quick Caribbean trips with much shorter flights) trip - a fellow diver on a boat once likened his trip to/from Truk Lagoon to a 'forced march.' So it's a substantial investment in time and effort.

Some people traveling that far will want to dive...a lot. This is how I think. Those people will focus on live-aboards.

Some people love exotic travel but need to keep costs way down...even if it means less diving.

Some people like 'cultural' attractions, interacting with people and visiting scenic sights. I notice on Scuba Board that Bali gets recommended to these types.

There are doubtless people we could file under 'other' (e.g.: maybe topside natural wonders are a big deal).

What sort of person is your 'typical' American client? Well-off, or a budget conscious backpacker? A chubby middle-aged guy with an office job, or fit youngsters? How many dives/day do they do? What do they do during the day when they're not diving?

Thanks for this thorough explanation. I different world to me. When I visited Singapore I felt the air conditioning in the shops would kill us. A woolen cap and thick fleece helped me survive. My condition, cold urticaria, makes it harder for me. I wonder what cheap prices are? Lower than the costs? Lower than the competition? Anyway, the diving is what we do.
Just concentrated on your best ie diving. There is no way you can satisfy everyone.

Just concentrated on your best ie diving. There is no way you can satisfy everyone.

How very true. Chasing the American market can come at a cost of other markets. Example - I used to adore Murex's Bangka island for the awesome forgotten world feel. For being able to wake up, sit up in bed and take the pic below. Then improvements to cater for the US market...Air-conditioning/Wifi/improved cabins...WTH was wrong with the cabins? Nothing, I loved them. If anything the improvements have put me off not excited me. Im also curious as to how our travelling habits and demands on tourism providers will look post covid. How long the dive industry can sustain this constriction is yet to be seen, but I hear of many operators having to shut up shop for good in this early stage of our being grounded and sent to our rooms. Indah would a slow trialling of say a couple of cabins being fitted with AC in your pod idea or any other form with feedback from the domestic market and then whatever country you first get bubbled with be worthwhile before investing in major capital works be advantageous? Im hoping we Aussie's get bubbled up with Indo as quickly as possible ... lol what a ridiculous world we live in where our governments decide whos bubbling with who - make it all go back to how it was when bubbles were what we blew not what we lived in.
FB_IMG_1597980486481.jpg

We used to have many guests from the U.S. at our Weda Resort until recent. But the majority of them are birdwatchers. They do not ask for air-conditioning. Just a clean place to sleep and all organized perfectly on schedule. Most of them are older than 55 years old. As I mentioned before, the reason the renovate 4 of our bungalows was not the heat, but noise. I learned much of all comments on my original post. Thank you all. I know we can never please everybody. But we will do our best. It will have to be without large investments however .

Back
Top Bottom