Slinging pony: left or right side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another reason for the left side is this allows you to get used to having in there in case you decide to use a scooter. You learn to build on muscle memory so that an added task does not have you reconfiguring more tasks than you need to..

I sling on my left because I'm right handed, like Chug only different side. Being right handed, I like my right side clear to carry gear to accomplish any tasks like photography or spearfishing and so on, without interference.

Bob
----------------------
Doesn't care how others choose to configure their rigs.

Interesting - I put my slung pony on my left side because I have two stainless steel D rings on the left of my BCD but only a Stainless and plastic D ring on my right side. So I chose what was most sturdy...

When I first assembled my backplate and wing the directions said that I have only 1 hip D ring and it goes on the left. With that D ring all the way back I would still end up with a sloppy, almost front mounted tank.
Now I attach the bottom clip on the pony to my rear crotch strap D ring.

lakediving, you need to adjust your rigging for a shorter clip on the end, if that d-ring is all the way back it shouldn't hang very far down at all.... That bottom clip doesn't need any leash for a pony bottle. Some of the standard stage bottle riggings will have them so you can get more than two bottles onto that d-ring, but for a dedicated pony bottle it doesn't need any leash between the worm clamp and the d-ring. Depending on the size of the bolt snap, you could also clip the bottom back on the handle and then clip to the d-ring which will keep it nice and snug.

As far as why they're on the left it is all to do with primary hose donation. If the pony is on your right, you can't donate a long hose properly, with it on the left your right side is free for long hose donation. On a standard DIR style rig, you also won't be able to put a canister on the right properly if the pony is also over there so the left side works much easier for all of the hose routing and donation.

lakediving, you need to adjust your rigging for a shorter clip on the end, if that d-ring is all the way back it shouldn't hang very far down at all.... That bottom clip doesn't need any leash for a pony bottle. Some of the standard stage bottle riggings will have them so you can get more than two bottles onto that d-ring, but for a dedicated pony bottle it doesn't need any leash between the worm clamp and the d-ring. Depending on the size of the bolt snap, you could also clip the bottom back on the handle and then clip to the d-ring which will keep it nice and snug.

As far as why they're on the left it is all to do with primary hose donation. If the pony is on your right, you can't donate a long hose properly, with it on the left your right side is free for long hose donation. On a standard DIR style rig, you also won't be able to put a canister on the right properly if the pony is also over there so the left side works much easier for all of the hose routing and donation.
Here is the tank I am describing. My top clip can either go on a leash or my chest d ring. And my bottom clip goes to the back ring on my crotch strap under the plate. I am also really skinny, and this setup sets the tank perfectly at my side. Out of my way but easily breathed from.

bolt snap is too big essentially. You can tie a small prusik loop around the handle portion and clip it back against the handle and it will sit where it is supposed to. Alternatively you can put the worm gear through the same hole that the bolt snap is in and that will help as well. The prusik loop is less work and will help to keep the bottle from flopping around. Remember that when it is clipped to the butt d-ring, if you breathe it it will float and start becoming unstable. Will also move around quite a bit if you roll in either direction

bolt snap is too big essentially. You can tie a small prusik loop around the handle portion and clip it back against the handle and it will sit where it is supposed to. Alternatively you can put the worm gear through the same hole that the bolt snap is in and that will help as well. The prusik loop is less work and will help to keep the bottle from flopping around. Remember that when it is clipped to the butt d-ring, if you breathe it it will float and start becoming unstable. Will also move around quite a bit if you roll in either direction
These are great points that I haven't seen considered in a lot of pony tank threads. I know now that I need to practice diving with it more. Since I do not breath off of the tank but carry it for a redundant air source ( not using it for gas planning at all) I never considered the tank's buoyancy empty and how it would affect my rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom