Small Petite Women...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptc

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question to ask of small petite women, can anyone who fits this category tell me what type of BC, fins, mask and regulator you use? A friend of mine is small and petite (5'0, size 6 clothes and size 5 shoe) and never feels comfortable in any of the rental equipment she uses from the dive shops any suggestions would be much appreciated! :confused:

Has she tried any of SeaQuest's BCs? In my experience its XS BCs are extra smaller than those of some other companies.

Zept

I wish i payed more attention.

My last dive buddy was 4'10" 98 lbs but i cant remember what gear she was using. If it comes to mind i will be sure and post it for you.

Andy

My wife tried 2 or 3 of the womens BC's in small and extra small sizes ,Mares and SeaQuest. She didn't like them. She tried on a small SeaQuest Quickdraw (it's a discontinued model) It fit, she bought it, She's been diving it ever since. She loves it.

Hope this helps.

Does she do most of her diving here? I have owned both the Seaquest Diva (the original) and the Libra and there are advantages to each. Is she looking to dive dry? I'm a little taller, but about the same size clothing wise. Foot wise, I can't help --- I have big paws...

She dives mostly No. CA. waters and some tropical when on vacation. Any suggestions for either type of suits would be great!
It seems like the Seaquest was suggested by several people.

A backplate and 27 pound wing. The webbing can be adjusted to be very comfortable. As for a suit, a custom drysuit for the cool N. Ca. Waters would probably make her very happy...Ken

Dry might be the way to go up there. Is there a tank purchase planned as well? I dive with a high pressure steel 72 - that way, I carry less lead and the tank doesn't end halfway down my thigh. If she wants to do that, then be sure and check lift capacity, particularly on a weight integrated BC. I like the Libra for dry diving because it is open in the front - the Diva has the wrap cumberbund that takes up space on a small torso. I did feel naked, thought, the first time I dove the Libra in warm water. The Diva had more of a "hug" effect.
As for a mask, I recently got a Mares Target. It's all black, so it does make me look mean, but it is very low profile and I think it's a great fit on a small face.

Is there a tank purchase planned as well? I dive with a high pressure steel 72 - that way, I carry less lead and the tank doesn't end halfway down my thigh

Would this be the smaller tanks? she's dived with the standard size lead tanks (3000 psi) but did try a smaller one during this one dive and liked it, though it didn't carry as high of a psi. Tanks are a problem especially during shore dives, it sounds like the one you use is not as heavy?? also for salt water how much weight do you use? for fresh water? I know it's a calculation of 10% of your body weight, plus an add'l 10 pds give or take?

Actually, it's not that my little steelie weighs any less, but steel and aluminum have different bouyancy characteristics. My tank will still be several pounds negative at the end of the dive where an aluminum tank would be positive when empty...so I end up having to use less lead in the form of weights, a big relief on the surface. I think I have seen a reference to a chart outlining these characteristics somewhere on the net. Check the tank forum here, maybe that's where I saw it. As for how much weight, that depends on your themal protection and the tank, so the best way to find out is to test. When you get it right for the circumstances, record that in your logbook for future reference - beats trying to remember.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom