SMB Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the poster that replied as follows. Shallow deployment use an SMB and a finger spool. I strongly reccomend not deploying a larger DSMB with a finger spool and I would not deploy it any shallower than 40-50 feet. From 40 or below I deploy a larger DSMB and user a Larger Reel. Practice and remember to have a knife handy in case it tries to turn you into a water launched patiot missile.
Practice and Practice some more.

Also spools don't fall apart just when you need them the most.

There's never really a need for a reel at recreational depths, given the propensity for reels to jam at the wrong time.

The one problem with hand looping something onto a spool is it can cause curling of the line. The reels of course bring the line in without any looping effect.

by 'curling' i presume you mean 'twist'; i use hi-viz dacron on my spool, and it doesn't have much memory to retain any curling, if any.

flip the spool every five to fifteen wraps if you're sidewinding; keeps the twists from stacking up. ie: ten wraps 'away' from you, flip, ten wraps 'towards' you, flip, etc. every other flip, rotate the spool 90~120 degrees to keep it from getting all 'egg shaped' on the spool.

for ascending approach to safety stop from 20~30', usually fall into a five count with wrapping (~3', 1m on my spool), pause for a few breathes, re-orient and re-eval, flip spool, and continue wrapping line. if i had to deploy deeper, likely would flip every ten or fifteen, as less line being taken up with each wrap compared to a mostly full 80' spool with a 30' deploy.

only done this drilling in the quarries, someone please correct me if any of this is bad ocean etiquette!

For 'Rec' diving for anything shallower than 40m, its a finger spool, which has 18m of line on it.

For any CCR Trimix diving, I've got a 75m Reel and a 125m Reel - both british made by John at Kent Tooling

When I started diving it was all the rage to have a cheap plastic reel, broke within a few dives - everyone should (I feel) learn how to use a finger spool and smb - can't fail, simple to use, simple to store and such a great safety item.

did a dive recently where two guys didn't really approve of my spool...

on guy said that i should use a reel because spools are for cave/wreck diving and laying line...

the other said that you don't have anything to hold onto with a spool so if you deployed into a strong surface current you could loose it...

the first guy i didn't really pay attention to... the second guy i deployed my spool into a 4knt (about 1.5knts at depth) surface current on the next dive with no issues except that the current took all of my line :)

Agree with the poster that replied as follows. Shallow deployment use an SMB and a finger spool. I strongly reccomend not deploying a larger DSMB with a finger spool and I would not deploy it any shallower than 40-50 feet. From 40 or below I deploy a larger DSMB and user a Larger Reel. Practice and remember to have a knife handy in case it tries to turn you into a water launched patiot missile.
Practice and Practice some more.

the third time I deep deployed with a spool an SMB this happened. scared the crap out of me and let everything go.

the third time I deep deployed with a spool an SMB this happened. scared the crap out of me and let everything go.

It happens. I was doing a tech course and had strong currents, free flowing reg in my mouth so couldn't see, bad vis. Went to deploy my DSMB and when I filled it found to my dismay that I had not released the clip holding the spool reel body and DSMB together. Choices were; ride it to the surface, or let it go. One patriot missile took off on its own. I had to face a smiling captain with one orange DSMB fully inflated with attached said spool, asking who owed him a beer.

It happens, you just have to know what to do. That's what good diving is all about, knowing what to do, or working through the problems if they occur and not expecting every dive to be picture perfect.

Can you not turn a spool into a reel using either your finger, knife handle, sheers, camera stick, etc... as an axle, and a snap bolt with a wide swivel bottom as the reel handle?
snapboltwide.jpg

You can indeed. The double ender they come with is perfect for that application.

That's what I figured (having never operated either), though you would have to allow the double-ender to twist in your hand. I suppose that's probably not a problem if you're ascending at a safe rate.

Back
Top Bottom