Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oddly enough people do thing that is not good for them in the long run: it is called "living".

There, fixed it for ya.

Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! that cigarette

Talk about putting me on the Wayback Machine. I ran into it back when Jimmy Dean did a cover of the song In 61. Written Merle Travis and Tex Williams, and was a hit for Williams in 1947.

Although "Asleep at the Wheel" still performs the song, I would think that some artist would update it and Vape Your Cigarette could be a modern hit. If nothing else, may be I'll email Weird Al.

Bob

It is none of my business, or yours, what people choose to do to themselves.

Except it does affect me. When I'm on a dive boat and breathing in the beautiful ocean air and I suddenly get a lungful of carcinogenic burning nicotine, it affects me.

When I walk in or out of a restaurant and must pass through a crowd of ignorant, inconsiderate smokers that have a need to congregate outside the front door as they all light up at the same time and am forced to either hold my breath or breathe in a lungful of disgusting burning paper, it affects me.

When I write my monthly check for my health insurance premiums, it affects me, because when smokers have medical issues and the insurance company pays to treat those smoking induced issues, the amount I pay every month goes up.

When I get out of my car and walk across the parking lot towards my building and stoop down and pick up countless cigarette butts left by selfish, lazy smokers, it affects me.

When I'm driving down the road and I see a smoker flick their butt out the car window which pollutes my environment and sometimes causes fires, it affects me.

When I read statistics about the number of work days lost due to sickness associated with smoking and the devastating effect it has on the global economy, it affects me.

So there should be a law that prevents people from doing anything that affects anyone else.:popcorn:

Bob

In the land of the free.
That's what all laws do--or do you think we should allow murder because it would be regulating things we do that affect others?

I don't smoke and most of the people I know don't smoke either so my exposure is very limited if any.

With that said I've noticed something that challenges physic laws. Diver "A" would be among diesel fumes in a boat and say nothing but the instant Diver "B" pulls a cigarrete, Diver "A" not only starts a bitching session but the smoke from said cigarrete would literally find its way to Diver "A" regardless of wind direction.
How do they manage to accomplish that.

I don't smoke and most of the people I know don't smoke either so my exposure is very limited if any.

With that said I've noticed something that challenges physic laws. Diver "A" would be among diesel fumes in a boat and say nothing but the instant Diver "B" pulls a cigarrete, Diver "A" not only starts a bitching session but the smoke from said cigarrete would literally find its way to Diver "A" regardless of wind direction.
How do they manage to accomplish that.
Simple.

I assume you are talking about a boat that has a full front, not a little motorboat. There is a difference.

The diesel fumes will begin off the back of the boat, and not much of it will get into the boat.

With a boat that has a front, the wind direction is irrelevant. The air movement is created by the movement of the boat. The air hits the front of the boat, is lifted over the top, and then curls down and moves forward into the boat. That is why your back window gets snow, rain, and dirt on it when you drive. If someone stands in a boat and smokes, that smoke will move into the boat and into its passengers, regardless of any wind direction.

In a flat motorboat with no front, the air from the boat movement sweeps over the boat and off the back.

So there should be a law that prevents people from doing anything that affects anyone else

There are already laws like that and as they pertain to smoking, it has been banned in many public places. For good reason. Remember when people could smoke on planes, on trains, in the workplace? Then the adverse health effects of smoking became known, lots of smokers wisely quit and due to public outcry politicians thought it wise to pass legislation to protect those who equate inhaling smoke to dying rather than “living”.

Unfortunately well intended laws dont stop someone from lighting up on a dive boat and saying “well there are diesel fumes so there’s nothing wrong with me blowing smoke in your direction”.

That's what all laws do--or do you think we should allow murder because it would be regulating things we do that affect others?

No matter how small the slight?

Bob

Go find my post about FAT people... You anti smoking a$$hats are all the same.. Get a life, And enjoy yourself.. Years and years people have been smoking and drinking and eating.. And ,"NOW" everyone has a problem with everything that they don't do.. Well, suck it up big boy.. What ever happened to this "USA" country and live and let live..

Jim..

Back
Top Bottom