smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A buddy and I were diving on a dive boat Saturday. Would it have been wrong of me to ask the guy smoking a cigar if he we put it out? Being a non-smoker I try to to make a big deal of smoking but considering the combination of 3-5 foot seas and breathing in the diesel fumes it was making us and a few others on the boat sick. :confused:

On some boats it's actually prohibited, and then on larger boats such as livaboards there are usually designated smoking areas.

I don't allow smoking on my boats...sorry, you have to wait until the surface interval and we'll pull over to a pier or beach for you :)

You can have alcohol on a charter vessel but, it is up to the DM and Captain to make sure it is only for the trip back to the dock. Is this what you ment by commercial dive boats?

yep. I dont remember any dive boats (charters) where they would serve alcohol. Always juices or water or soft drinks.

As for the alcohol, I remember once, a few years ago, diving from an overnight diveboat out at San Nicolas Island, in California, the dive boat actually had beer for sale onboard. There were no problems, everyone waited til their last dive before having a brew. I have been on diveboats where some of the passengers were drinking between dives, but the crew didn't say a thing and neither did I, not my business.

But some of you need to lighten up. I can clearly understand why, after being onboard with some of you uptight anti-smokers, that some may need to go back aft and light one up just to relaaaaaax.

Oh yeah, I don't smoke.

But some of you need to lighten up. I can clearly understand why, after being onboard with some of you uptight anti-smokers, that some may need to go back aft and light one up just to relaaaaaax.

Oh yeah, I don't smoke.

Smoking is not a relaxing past time in and of itself. The tobacco companies and smoker's culture would have you believe the propaganda that smoking is relaxing but that is only true insofar as it quiets your body's need for another drug fix, another dose of nicotine.

Oh yeah, I'm an ex-smoker.

I think the reason that most boats dont serve alcohol is because then they would need a liquor license. Bummer too because I could for a nice cold brew on my way back to the dock while filling out my dive logs! Just smoke off the back and downwind, wouldnt that just solve the issue? And if your not a smoker stand upwind, duldrums are rare on the ocean so there is always a breeze in one way or the other. I used to smoke and now I dont, so I really smell it. I personally dont care either way, to each their own. If someone starts acting an *** I like to side on the persons side who is being attacked btw, its more fun that way =D

Back
Top Bottom