Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Schlink:
Mike you have me incorrectly labeled. My point was simply that I would ask politely, but if that didn't work I'd resort to other methods.

sorry I didn't really think you would resort to violence
Why should anyone have to smell cigarette smoke if they don't want to??

For the same reason I have to have my whole being assaulted by others car stereos or tolerate any number of behaviors that others have that make me uncomfortable. It's because we all have to share the same space sometimes.
The majority of people don't smoke why should a minority have there way?

Because the minority are charged the same and apparantly the boat didn't prohibit it but I really think an arrangement could have been made that would keep all happy. They had no interest in accomedating Don because they didn't view his wants as important enough.
I have been on numerous dive boats where people are smoking. I try to get as far away as I can, but short of swimming home your suggesting that it's my problem. You can't be serious.

If there's no practical way that smoking can be accomedated that the smoker should maybe be the one to yield.
Why are so many public places becoming "smoke free" because most people don't even want to smell it.

Lobby group dollars?
The fact that it's bad for you is one good reason, but there are many others.

Yes, it's hard to imagin a group in a bar engaging in a healthy activity like drinking being expected to risk their health breathing smoke.
My wife is literally sickened by the smell. My sinuses take a nose dive (no pun intended-er' maybe a little).

I sure don't want any one to be made sick. I do think every one should tryy a little to make room for the next guy though.
On a dive trip that's several good reasons for me going beyond hoping that the smoker is going to accomadate my request.

Don paid for passage believing he could smoke. Did the other pay understanding that he couldn't?
Very, Very few of our friends smoke. I think a Dive Professional shouldn't smoke in front of students. It's a bad habit and sets a bad example. It's unhealthy. Smoking accounts for a lot of health care dollars. It's become illegal for anyone under 18.

All true. Smoking is not healthy. Other unhealthy things include being fat, eating McDonalds and diving for the poorly skilled.
I realize that some people "enjoy smoking" but most are simply addicted to it. And because of that I have to put up with them stinking up the air that I need to breathe.

No! others should have the consideration for you to not make you breath their smoke
On a recreational outing??

It's supposed to be enjoyable for Don too right?
I'm willing to bet if the issue was pushed we could get smoking banned on boats for public charters, same as airports, rest., movie theaters,

I don't doubt it. Maybe it will set a precident that will allow me to get some of that horrible loud music outlawed. Maybe we can even make it illegal for some people to where skimpy swim suits. Noiw there would be a real public service.
Why would anyone think that a "smoker" has the greater right to smoke vs. the non-smoker.

That's just it, I don't think that at all. I just don't believe that there isn't a way to burn a little cig outside on a boat where it won't bother you unless what bothers you is the simple fact that Don is doing it.
I'll ask the question again "why do we wear deoderant?" It's simple we don't want to smell offensive to the people around us in public. Smokers have a hard time achieving this goal. I also said that if I go to a bar or club or similar place I expect to have to tolerate it-I just don't think I should have to tolerate it on a dive boat

How about if Don agrees to do without smoking in the bar if he can smoke on the boat? It's far more of a health hazard in a bar than outside on a boat I think.

No one's health should be endangered by some one else. Often though this issue just doesn't look like a health issue. It's more like a control issue.

These people wanted the back of the boat and to not see Don smoke. I think they may have been able to give him a spot on the stern if they were interested in compromising so that Don could be comfortable too. They didn't want to.

MikeFerrara:
Yes, it's hard to imagin a group in a bar engaging in a healthy activity like drinking being expected to risk their health breathing smoke.
Yes, but if I'm sitting beside someone in a bar who is having a drink, that's not being forced on me. I can't say the same about sitting beside someone who is smoking.

warren_l:
Yes, but if I'm sitting beside someone in a bar who is having a drink, that's not being forced on me. I can't say the same about sitting beside someone who is smoking.

Don didn't force anything on any one. They did all the forcing.

They insisted on having everything they wanted...the stern and no smoke. They got everything just the way they wanted it.

I'm surprised they didn't just throw Don overboard because he smelled like smoke.

MikeFerrara:
Don didn't force anything on any one. They did all the forcing.

They insisted on having everything they wanted...the stern and no smoke. They got everything just the way they wanted it.

I'm surprised they didn't just throw Don overboard because he smelled like smoke.
My comments weren't directed at Don's situation, but smoking in general. I just find that the smokers I encounter tend to forget (or perhaps disregard) the fact that other people might not want to breathe toxic fumes that could quite voluntarily be avoided in the first place. I agree that people should be considerate of each other, but when someone who smokes is inconsiderate towards me, I find it difficult to reciprocate.

And yes, I agree that going on a dive charter should be an enjoyable experience for all, and since everyone pays, everyone has an equal right to enjoy it. But when you start detracting from someone else's enjoyment is where I have problems with it. Arguably, Don's inability to smoke on the charter may detract from his enjoyment. If I were a smoker and if one single person had a problem with it, I would wait until afterwards to smoke. Remember people don't have a choice when it comes to breathing. There is a choice when it comes to smoking.

MikeFerrara:

Why is Don's reason for wanting to be on the stern anymore important than any other diver's reason?

Ben

warren_l:
If I were a smoker and if one single person had a problem with it, I would wait until afterwards to smoke. Remember people don't have a choice when it comes to breathing. There is a choice when it comes to smoking.

thats VERY easy for you to say being your a non-smoker. lets say that you are addicted to heroin and it was legal, do you think you "could" wait for several hours just because "one single person had a problem with it"? i dont think you could or would.

thats the problem that most of us smokers have, we cant wait just because one person or 10 people have a problem with it. thats the reason i will ONLY go on a boat or anywhere that allows me to smoke.

steve

DivemasterSteve:
thats VERY easy for you to say being your a non-smoker. lets say that you are addicted to heroin and it was legal, do you think you "could" wait for several hours just because "one single person had a problem with it"? i dont think you could or would.

thats the problem that most of us smokers have, we cant wait just because one person or 10 people have a problem with it. thats the reason i will ONLY go on a boat or anywhere that allows me to smoke.

steve
Let's just say I am addicted to heroin. How does me shooting up (or whatever it is you do when you take heroin) affect the person next to me? Does that person get injected with heroine too? Perhaps you are right, I am not a smoker and don't understand the addiction. I just find it hard to believe that I could get hooked to the point where I wouldn't have enough self control to wait a few hours.

OneBrightGator:
Why is Don's reason for wanting to be on the stern anymore important than any other diver's reason?

Ben

Don's reason for wanting to be on the stern and smoke is that was the rule made by the owner of the boat. thats the way every boat i have been on has been. if you are a non-smoker and want to stay at the stern while i'm on a boat you will be smelling my smoke, simply because the owner made the rules and when he took my money he said i could smoke there. like i have said in another post, if smoke bothers you (you being anyone, not just you) that bad you need to find a boat that dont allow smoking but as long as the owner says its ok, i will go and i will smoke.

steve

warren_l:
Let's just say I am addicted to heroin. How does me shooting up (or whatever it is you do when you take heroin) affect the person next to me? Does that person get injected with heroine too? Perhaps you are right, I am not a smoker and don't understand the addiction. I just find it hard to believe that I could get hooked to the point where I wouldn't have enough self control to wait a few hours.

well, you could be shooting up and your blood splatter on a person next to you and if you had aids, it could really bother that person.

i along with many many other smokers are hooked that bad. believe me, i wish i wasnt. i have tried to quit and will try again but until that time gets here, i have to have a smoke way to often. there is no way i could be out on a boat or anywhere like that and go more than an hour without one.

steve

DivemasterSteve:
well, you could be shooting up and your blood splatter on a person next to you and if you had aids, it could really bother that person.

i along with many many other smokers are hooked that bad. believe me, i wish i wasnt. i have tried to quit and will try again but until that time gets here, i have to have a smoke way to often. there is no way i could be out on a boat or anywhere like that and go more than an hour without one.

steve
And an airplane could come crashing out of the sky and kill us all. That is an anciallary risk to the main issue. It may or may not happen. The fact is, unless I stabbed someone next to me with the needle, they would not get injected with heroin. So how about switching to pills. If I could pop a pill, I can't see how that would affect anyone else. But sitting beside someone who smokes, well, it would be very difficult not to breathe any of the smoke. I'm not suggesting that someone smoking next to me would shove a cigarette in my mouth and make me smoke it.

And you are right, I don't understand the addiction. But it makes me feel sad for those who have to go through it. But that doesn't make me want to experience any of it nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom