Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warren_l:
And you are right, I don't understand the addiction. But it makes me feel sad for those who have to go through it. But that doesn't make me want to experience any of it nonetheless.

i can understand what your saying 100%, i wouldnt want you or any non-smoker to have to smell my smoke either unless you came into the space that i have been given to smoke in. i do my best not to blow smoke where it will be going toward a non-smoker but if i'm on a boat that allows smoking at the stern and thats where i am, i can only do my best to keep it back there. thats why i say if the smell of smoke bothers a person that bad they need to find a boat that dont allow smoking just like i find one that does allow it.

steve

DivemasterSteve:
i can understand what your saying 100%, i wouldnt want you or any non-smoker to have to smell my smoke either unless you came into the space that i have been given to smoke in. i do my best not to blow smoke where it will be going toward a non-smoker but if i'm on a boat that allows smoking at the stern and thats where i am, i can only do my best to keep it back there. thats why i say if the smell of smoke bothers a person that bad they need to find a boat that dont allow smoking just like i find one that does allow it.

steve
I think that is the key - if the space you are given to smoke in is indeed for that purpose (or allowed in that space) then that's fine. It needs to understood beforehand whether such activities as smoking is permitted. If I book myself onto a charter where it says smoking is permitted, then I'll tolerate it. Otherwise, I could always choose not to go. If I walk into a bar for a drink and someone smokes next to me, I wouldn't like it much, but I would understand that this is a place where it is permitted (and perhaps expected) and I can choose to leave or stay.

But unfortunately, not everyone is as considerate as you when it comes to non-smokers. If everyone took that attitude, I perhaps wouldn't find it as offensive. In fact, I don't really mind the smell of the smoke so much itself - it's moreso the fact that it might eventually kill me one day. That is more the issue with me.

And I hope I haven't come off as being too antagonistic towards you, Don, and other smokers. If I did, I apologize. I don't get worked up much about anything else, but this issue hits home for me. For personal reasons, I abhor smoking. When you have loved ones die from smoking related illnesses, and are helpless to do anything about it, it can be a difficult thing to deal with.

MikeFerrara:
I just don't believe that there isn't a way to burn a little cig outside on a boat where it won't bother you unless what bothers you is the simple fact that Don is doing it.
Bingo!

Warren_L:
And I hope I haven't come off as being too antagonistic towards you, Don, and other smokers. If I did, I apologize. I don't get worked up much about anything else, but this issue hits home for me. For personal reasons, I abhor smoking. When you have loved ones die from smoking related illnesses, and are helpless to do anything about it, it can be a difficult thing to deal with.

no sir you havent come across that way at all. i understand 100% where your coming from and believe me, i fully understand about your personal reasons, my mom died about 6 years ago from smoking. like i say, i truly wish i could stop but havent been able to as of yet but i will try again. but until i am able to quit, i hope we can all get along. people like yourself that are willing to work with us smokers in places like boats and bars does make it nice. thank you sir for understanding.

steve

MikeFerrara:
I just don't believe that there isn't a way to burn a little cig outside on a boat where it won't bother you unless what bothers you is the simple fact that Don is doing it.

The problem is that you not believing that a little cig burning outside on a boat will make me very sick, won't make me not get sick. If I can smell the cig, it will make me sick. I wish like heck it didn't, goodness knows my life would be easier.

I hate the looks I get from folks when I either quickly excuse myself to try to get away from the smoke or if there's no where to go, politely ask them to put it out because it makes me sick. I get rolled eyes at best, and an argument at worst. Smokers tend to believe I'm blowing things out of proportion. It took my father (who's smoked my whole life) years to believe that it was his smoke making me sick...he was sure I was blowing it out of proportion as well.

I can't speak for everyone....but I know that truly, I don't care that Don is smoking....he's a grown man and can make his own decisions. I also know that my body has no tolerance for breathing it.

Peace,
Cathie

I agree wholeheartedly with Cathie - I think the point that is missed or misconstrued is that it is not about Don's right to smoke. Or anyone else's right to smoke. That doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, if that's what he wants, then I would like nothing more than for him to be able to do the things he wants to do including smoking. I just don't want it to affect me or others that want nothing to do with it.

Warren_L

I don't smoke but I often have to endure complaints from other people because I use smokeless tobbaco. People don't like it so they make up any BS they can to complain about my habit even though theres no second hand hazzard of it affecting them except they don't like it or it looks yucky. This is the same type of BS that most smokers go through on a daily basis because it's PC to attack anyone who smokes or use tobacco. Often it has nothing to do with actual health concerns but more about people just dislike it.

And often it has everything to do with health concerns ... but it's easier for some smokers to blame it on "PC" and deny that health concerns have anything to do with it.

.... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GeekDiver:
Warren_L

I don't smoke but I often have to endure complaints from other people because I use smokeless tobbaco. People don't like it so they make up any BS they can to complain about my habit even though theres no second hand hazzard of it affecting them except they don't like it or it looks yucky. This is the same type of BS that most smokers go through on a daily basis because it's PC to attack anyone who smokes or use tobacco. Often it has nothing to do with actual health concerns but more about people just dislike it.
I've no doubt that exists, but that's not my rationale.

NWGratefulDiver:
And often it has everything to do with health concerns ... but it's easier for some smokers to blame it on "PC" and deny that health concerns have anything to do with it.

.... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i will be the 1st to admit there is a health concern with smoking but if you do research on "everything" that you eat or drink, about 90% of it they claim "can" be harmful to your body. it just depends on when and who did the research.

about 20 years or so ago a local grocery store chain checked everything that was sold in their store for humans to eat and ONLY 13 items in the store were "good" for you. everything else in the store in one way or another was bad for you or had something in it that was bad. at least thats what someone had determined at that time about all the stuff in the store. again, i admit smoking does cause cancer but just because someone smokes or is around someone that smokes dont mean they will die from cancer. you could get hit by a car and die tomorrow or you could be like my great-grandmother that died at the age of 94 from old age and she had smoked all of her life right up to the day she died. her doctor said smoking had nothing to do with her death.

i'm not saying its right for smoke to be forced on a non-smoker but on the other hand, if a smoker is in an area that is designated for smokers or if non-smokers fill up a place that has been designated for smokers,(like in Don's case) they have no right at all to say a word about getting smoke all over them.

steve

Back
Top Bottom