Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What always gets me is the fact the stern is the smoking section on boats for a number of reasons.....1 location, 2 down wind from all......but the weird thing is that the PC non-smokers will collect there despite the dense diesel fume lurking in the air - and that doesn't seem to be a problem?

I am a smoker as well, when I light up my cigars or pipes people freak out, claiming that it stinks, it's bad for their health and stuff - yet that same person will jog downtown in the smog and claim to be healthy. The way I look at it is that we are outside, and I can smoke if I want to ..... move over if it bothers you, it's different if it's in a small enclosed space, but if there is ample ventilation (like in open air) then I/we have just as much rights.

The reason I guess the group leader was giving you the power trip was to forego any *****ing from the others and to try to keep peace, while the dive guide was not part of the group to govern.

I'm a firm believer that everybody has the right to do what they want. I could care less if somebody smokes...as long as I don't have to smell it or breathe it.

I know the stern seems like the best place, and it probabally is, but unless it's a howling crosswind, it still bothers me. The eddies and turbulence carries the smoke everywhere.

I've worked with folks who were not coffee drinkers, who the smell of coffee made nauseous. No problem, I schlurped down my coffee somewhere else, and threw a toothbrush over my teeth to accomidate. I guess it's a matter of consideration for others.

If given a choice between a boat with a non-smoking policy and one without, my $ goes to the one with the policy. But, on the boat that allows smoking, if someone lights up anywhere on the boat, it does bother me. I'll retreat to as far away as I can, and if it's still untenable, then I'll squawk.

This lady sounded vocal and argumenative to be sure; it bothers me that she didn't pounce on anyone else except you.

All the best, James

I am a smoker and I am very careful not to intrude a nonsmokers space. YES, I know it is a bad habit and it isa love/hate thing with me. I DO know that I have a right to smoke if it is not posted. As to one saying try a patch or chew, that is like saying I am ugly, go stand at the other end of the boat so I don't have to see you. You have a right to breath fresh air, I have a right to smoke, and you have a right to put on an airborne particle mask if you don't like my smoke. I'll end it here before I get fired up.

Aqua Ho:
What always gets me is the fact the stern is the smoking section on boats for a number of reasons.....1 location, 2 down wind from all......but the weird thing is that the PC non-smokers will collect there despite the dense diesel fume lurking in the air - and that doesn't seem to be a problem?

I am a smoker as well, when I light up my cigars or pipes people freak out, claiming that it stinks, it's bad for their health and stuff - yet that same person will jog downtown in the smog and claim to be healthy. The way I look at it is that we are outside, and I can smoke if I want to ..... move over if it bothers you, it's different if it's in a small enclosed space, but if there is ample ventilation (like in open air) then I/we have just as much rights.

The reason I guess the group leader was giving you the power trip was to forego any *****ing from the others and to try to keep peace, while the dive guide was not part of the group to govern.

Why "PC non-smokers?" PC has nothing to do with it, at least in many (I'd say most) cases. Cigarette smoke gives me a headache and nausea. Outside doesn't necessarily prevent people around you from getting smoked, even on a moving boat. I think people who smoke are used to it and don't notice the smoke, but non-smokers do. (I'd avoid the back of the boat if there were diesel fumes. Even so, diesel fumes don't make me sick the way cigarette smoke does.)

fdog:
I'm a firm believer that everybody has the right to do what they want. I could care less if somebody smokes...as long as I don't have to smell it or breathe it.

I know the stern seems like the best place, and it probabally is, but unless it's a howling crosswind, it still bothers me. The eddies and turbulence carries the smoke everywhere.
DITTO. Non-smoker here, but a boat is a SMALL space to share. Nothing craps me off more than getting onto a boat to go spend half a day out on the water diving and enjoying the fresh sea air, than having someone busting out the smokes as soon as their gear is off.

I've stopped going to pubs in Australia (where smoking is allowed) since moving back from California (where smoking isn't) - I simply can't stand the cigarettes anymore. Honestly, I know that it's an addiction, and there's physiological reasons that make you want to smoke, but it really Really REALLY bugs the crap out of other people on boats, even if you're in the dedicated "smoking stern". Don't get me started on the f**** that throw their butts in the water from the dive boat.

When I'm briefing the boat, I say "If you need to smoke or puke, please do so from the leeward most point of the deck."
Rick

I know boats come in many different sizes and shapes. No matter what the size I find one of the more comfortable places to gather is the stern. And often the best place to get some sun. That is, after the boat is moving and the diesel fumes are thus diminished. That said, I wonder if it really was a power play by the women on your charter. Who knows though given I wasn't there.

In my several years of diving I've been lucky in that only one or two of our club members smoked. & they only went on a couple charters. So, I really haven't had to deal with smoke on a boat. & I sure am glad.

Something interesting to note is that one year we tried out a new operator (to us). Everything was wonderful except that the dive master was almost never without a lit cigarette in hand. Group consensus was that they would not pay to go on that charter boat ever again. I discussed it with the charter owner the following year, given it was a good and convenient location for us to dive. He thanked me for the feedback and ensured we would have one of his non-smoking dive masters. He now has repeat business every year.

Paula

well, I live in NYC... and our lovely major banned smoking in bars... ok, I can see how it sucks, and I don't agree with this even though I am not a smoker, but smoking on the boat is the most inconsiderable thing.. I am extremely sensitive to smoke on a boat as I get seasick right away when I smell the smoke. it's bad as it is we have to smell engine fumes, but add smokers on top of that and I can't dive as I get really dizzy.

Also, if you I dive, you should't be smoking in a first place, and certainly not right after or before you do a dive. but that's another story.

DandyDon:
One a recent trip, though, several gals took up the stern on a very crowded boat, leaving me midship -
Let's see. You were smoking in the middle of the boat and you are offended that someone told you to put it out? I would have put it out for you.

To assume that people choose to sit near the stern in order to provoke a confrontation with you over smoking is rather presumptuous.

People take up the position near the stern for a variety of reasons. Have a bad back or knee? Might be nice to sit near the dive ladders. Seasick easily? Might be nice to be able to feel the fresh air and not be in the confined space under the bridge. Working on a tan? It's certainly nice to sit in the sun.

Next time, get to the boat early and pick your spot as soon as you board. Leave the crew to assist other guests on board.

Well, I am one of those reformed smokers... I quit 10 years ago, and since then, smelling smoke makes me ill. I can't stand the smell of it even when a smoker who isn't smoking passes by. Its nauseating to smell the fumes on the clothes. Of course its also nauseating having to sit next to a person that forgot to take a shower for a day or so, or has bad breath or is plain obnoxious...
It really is about trying to get along with others, even if they are jerks... nothing like lowering yourself to their level...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom