Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Be careful about assuming that non-smokers have "an agenda". My ex-wife is quite allergic to cigarette smoke ... to the point where her sinuses get all clogged and her face gets puffy. We are quite open-minded about people's right to smoke, and would always assume it was our responsibility to avoid people who did rather than ask them to put it out.

Last year we were on a charter in Campbell River (B.C.) when a fellow diver pulled out a cigarette while she was talking to him. She immediately stopped the conversation and walked away. This fellow got all insulted, thinking she had "an agenda" (actually she was trying to avoid what eventually happened) ... so he proceeded to follow her around the boat, blowing his smoke in her direction. She got so stuffed up she couldn't dive. The fellow who made her that way enjoyed two nice dives that day ... and got all defensive when I told him he was an a$$hole for doing what he did.

PC has nothing to do with it for some people ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
SOME people smokers and none smokers have agendas. Im sorry you found a ignorant smoker given what you told me I would have told him your wife was allergic and she would resume the conversation after he had finshed his cigaret. In all honesty I have found more none smokers to have agendas than non smokers and we ger tired of hearing it. As some on the board have said "health care cost" I want to go to the back to sun bath, what about skin cancer this also costs to treat. "You should not be diving if you smoke" GET A LIFE and get the h**l out of mine.

Actually, she did tell him she had allergies. He chose not to believe her, and assumed she was just using it as an excuse. I have heard from many smokers that "everybody says that" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cdiver2:
SOME people smokers and none smokers have agendas. Im sorry you found a ignorant smoker given what you told me I would have told him your wife was allergic and she would resume the conversation after he had finshed his cigaret.

Truthfully, I couldn't have continued the conversation for a while after he finished his cigarette....I don't think that smokers realize how much smoke stays on their clothes...even if it's smoked outside.

cdiver2:
In all honesty I have found more none smokers to have agendas than non smokers and we ger tired of hearing it.

As a smoker it makes sense that you would notice the attitudes of people you don't agree with more than those you do. I think there are rude people and folks trying to accommodate as much as possible on both sides of the issue. The rude folks are just more memorable.

cdiver2:
As some on the board have said "health care cost" I want to go to the back to sun bath, what about skin cancer this also costs to treat. "You should not be diving if you smoke" GET A LIFE and get the h**l out of mine.

I think the only context that health has been brought up is for the non-smokers around the smoker. I don't think anyone in this discussion has said, everyone must quit now....most have said, smoke if you want....it's your choice. The only time I get involved is when your choice makes me ill. Boats are small places...it's often hard to avoid the smoke. I shouldn't have to remember to pack an airborne particle mask on the off chance someone doesn't feel like waiting a few hours to smoke a cigarette.

As far as the sunbathing....again, my sunbathing doesn't make you sick. I'm a grown person as well and I get to make my own health choices...weigh the risks of my behavior....I have no problem with everyone having that right and responsibility.....but when it starts infringing on someone else's health then those around you deserve some input.

Peace,
Cathie

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, she did tell him she had allergies. He chose not to believe her, and assumed she was just using it as an excuse. I have heard from many smokers that "everybody says that" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

it hard to believe he followed her around the boat blowing smoke on her after you had told him, if this did happen you had every right to stick the cigaret down his throat but dont tarnish ALL smokers with the same brush. As I said I smoke and recognize this as my problem and will go out of my way to accommodate non smokers.
Some times its how you tell someone they are offending you in my case if its done politely the they will get an apology and action to stop offending.

DivemasterSteve:
"if" the smell of smoke bothers you that much you need to make sure you pay your money to go on a NON-smoking boat. anytime i go on a boat, i make sure smoking is allowed before i pay my money.

steve
There's no "if" - smoke makes me sick. I'm a former light smoker, and for some reason can no longer stomach it. Strong liquor also makes my stomach turn. Fortunately beer only has that effect if I overindulge :eyebrow:

I'm yet to come across a day charter that has a no-smoking policy, in either California or Florida. Haven't done boat dives since moving back to Oz, so I don't know if there's any here.

Going back to the original question, since the dive leader knew your name, I am assuming she knew you smoked. I think it's time you have a discussion with her. I think she had a situation that was handled very badly. I'm sorry for you having less than a stellar dive trip.

If there is ever a SB dive trip, you can join me at the back of the boat. Everyone will know we are, you'll be the smoker & I'll be one who is seasick.

--tom--

cdiver2:
it hard to believe he followed her around the boat blowing smoke on her after you had told him, if this did happen you had every right to stick the cigaret down his throat but dont tarnish ALL smokers with the same brush. As I said I smoke and recognize this as my problem and will go out of my way to accommodate non smokers.
Some times its how you tell someone they are offending you in my case if its done politely the they will get an apology and action to stop offending.

I don't believe I tarnished anyone ... I merely used an anecdote (it actually happened exactly as described) to point out that assumptions aren't always what they appear to be. In my case ... as is also the case of the originator of this thread ... a smoker made an assumption of an "agenda" without really being open to other possibilities.

My ex and I have always been polite to people who choose to smoke, and have always assumed it was our responsibility ... not theirs ... to remove ourselves from their presence.

On a boat, that's not always possible.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scubaroo:
I'm yet to come across a day charter that has a no-smoking policy, in either California or Florida. Haven't done boat dives since moving back to Oz, so I don't know if there's any here.

There used to be a very popular one here in Puget Sound ... unfortunately the owners got divorced and the charter went out of business. The charter I use now allows smoking (ironic, since the son of the owner is a GUE instructor) ... but they do ask their smoking patrons to please be considerate of others.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just found this thread. I am also allergic to cigarette smoke. Not only do my sinuses get clogged up, I also get a pounding headache.

This problem of MINE has prevented me from going to bars my whole life. When I was young and all my friends wanted to go bar hopping I couldn't. I've never been drunk..although I guess I could have drank alone at home.

Trust me, I wish this wasn't a problem of mine. It has also prevented me from becoming close friends with a few people I have really liked. But, I back away because I know the closer we get, the cigs, will continue to come out.
I never wanted anyone to stop doing what they enjoyed, because of me.

As far as a dive boat, it only happened once in St. Thomas. The DM was a chain smoker. I just stayed as far from him as possible, and it was a large boat. I was OK and did the dives.

I'm a nonsmoker. I understand about people being alergic or something, but it's not like a moving dive boat is like an inside bar or something. Can one or two people smoking at the stern really ruin the dive for people on an entirely different part of the boat?

And Cyklon, how about this scenerio.

Dandy Don politely agrees to stop smoking, and because the non-smokers are at the back, he goes to the front and starts setting up his gear. He's interrupted by one of the non-smokers asking him to move so that she can get into the cabin and use the head (our buddy Dandy Don happens to be next to the steps). Should the non-smoker be polite and wait for Dandy Don to "vacate the area"? Or is Dandy Don being non-dandy for living by the same rules as everyone else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom